AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am near Detroit. I have just put up my outside antenna, and am receiving HD with a HiPix card, sending it to my projector. It is the middle of the day here, and I am getting good sgnal strength, but when I display the channel, I get a black screen.

Is there programming on all day? Should I see something no matter what time it is, or do they only broadcast prime time? CBS in particular is what I am looking at.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
The Detroit CBS station, WWJ-DT, is on and broadcasting digitally 24 hours a day. Normally at this time they show The Young & The Restless in HDTV. (Currently interrupted by a news conference)

- If you are not using channel remapping (PSIP), they are on ch 44.

- If you are using channel remapping they are on normal channel, 62.

The other local DTV stations are:

WXYZ-DT ABC ch 41

WKBD-DT UPN ch 14

WDIV-DT NBC ch 45

WTVS-DT PBS ch 43

WJBK-DT FOX ch 58

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Do you _ever_ see an HDTV picture?

Are you sure the HiPix output is connected

properly to your projector? Are you using

"passthrough" mode with a VGA card running

through the HiPix?

Make sure that passthrough setting in the

software matches the way you have it wired

(either passthrough or dual monitor).

Is the output res setting compatible with

your display device?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happens is that I turn on the HTPC and DLP and when I begin, I can view CBS or NBC in HD. If I switch the source in the Hipix software to Svideo to watch the Tivo, then switch back to Tuner, I get no output. The signal strength is still there, 70+ but no audio no video. I have selected all 5 of the different output resolutions, and when it is working, I can see 5 different outputs. When it isn't working, I don't see anything 5 times.

Now the question is, I did an autoscan, and it picked up channel 4 as NBC. That would be channel re-mapping. How is that enabled? I can tune to channel 45, and see 75 signal strength, but no video or audio. Go to channel 4 and 75 strength, and good HD video and audio. I recorded the Tonight Show tonight, it looks incredible. So it is working fine when I tune to channel 4 for NBC. Why not channel 45?

Last question: I am using a 7 foot outdoor roof antenna. This morning before I mounted it, I had it in the living room hooked up to the Hipix. I was watching the Price is Right on CBS. Signal strength of 80. Couldn't tune in any other local channels. I took it outside and mounted it on the roof tonight, and now all I get is NBC. No more CBS, signal strength 0 or 5. Is the pointing of the antenna really down to 1-2 degrees? I tried pointing it in the same general direction I had it laying on the floor in the livingn room, and no CBS. Only NBC, and UPN every once in a while shows a 15 strength. Is there a map that shows where the transmitters are for pointing assistance?

Thanks

Paul

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
All I can say is that something sounds wrong...

Switching to SVIDEO then back to Tuner shouldn't

wipe out your ability to view channels.

You should make sure that the Tuner is set

in "ATSC" mode (not NTSC mode), but if you

are getting a good signal on the correct HD

channels then it sounds like you are doing

it right.

Sorry I can't be more help.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
You may be encountering multipath, Paul. I'm in multipath central, mid-Manhattan, and rarely use my book-size Silver Sensor antenna because of it. My set, a Philips RPTV, has a special mode that creates the equivalent of an on-screen spectrum analyzer. All the multipath reflections from stations appear, dynamically, as green peaks along the X-axis, changing in height as I move the Silver Sensor only inches. Several other readouts appear at the same time, indicating signal presence or 'lock'. Some antenna positions give an apparent strong signal, but I can also see horrendous multipath reflections. When I switch out of tuning mode (unfortunately, only by turning the set off), I can't tune in a strong-signal strong-multipath station, which might apply to you, too. Some of the latest-generation tuners, such as the new Zenith, might solve tough multipath problems. Moving an antenna to a roof could make a huge difference in signal characteristics.

I'd start by stripping away all the hardware not needed. Haven't adjusted a big roof antenna, but sure hope you've got two-way communications so someone can instantly view the results of antenna movements. Slight changes in antenna elevation, others have reported here, can make a difference. You may well need a rotor, or separate antennas for different stations and a common lead-in. If it is multipath, many have pointed out here that relocating antennas only inches can make a huge difference. With my interior setup, I have separate antenna positions outlined atop my RPTV for numerous stations. But most, after the 9/11 attack and the World Trade Center destruction, no longer apply. -- John

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John. I think my only remaining problem is with the antenna. I am using a large (7 foot across) UHF/VHF antenna mounted on a 14 foot pole outside. When I spin it the tiniest fraction of an inch, I can get the different channels to come in, all except for CBS. Of course, the leader in HD is the one I don't get.

The problem with not being able to see audio and video but having signal strength on the Hipix I have found that I have to hit the "Auto-Program" button whenever I move the antenna, and it searches out and acquires the channels that exists, some of the re-mapped to their local channel numbers.

I have used antennaweb.org, and they say that all I need here in Taylor, MI is the smallest antenna, that will get the yellow piece of pie on the graph. I can't understand why then moving my huge antenna 2 degrees to the east can make one channel dissapear and two more show up. Will something like the MegaWave be better? I can also put the 7 foot antenna in my attic. That will get it about 10 feet higher than it is, but then it is inside.

Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Here in Southfield I'm in a flat area, surrounded by stations, no tall buildings close, and have a 10 foot fixed mast on a 2 story building. But I can't find a single compromise position of that darn antenna that will currently get all 6 stations on my WinTV-HD card (it used to).

I'm going to finally break down and get a rotor but for an interim solution I already had a cable going up to my upstairs bedroom for another seldom used TV. Instead I placed a set top antenna upstairs and connected it to the 2nd f-connector on my WinTV-HD card using that borrowed cable. So now I have a choice of 2 software selectable antennas pointing various places and with some fiddling can sometimes get all channels.

In many ways the upstairs set top antenna gets better reception than the one on the roof. But maybe that's because I use it pointing SW and the rooftop one points SE, through more trees.

But every day is different. It is impossible for me to predict which one will work with which channel.

- Tom

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
For replies from those with more antenna experience, you might try a post in the hardware section. Sounds like you have signals present, but perhaps the specialized anti-ghosting circuits built into the new Zenith tuner will solve the problem. A costly 'test', obviously, so multiple antennas or a rotor as a test would be economical. Can't imagine going through an auto-tune sweep after each small antenna movement. You'd think any tuning system would let you manually enter a desired channel, then let you monitor signal changes with antenna movement. -- John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.