AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard before that TS playback wasn't working before. I just tried to play it now and it worked just fine. I just updated to 1.5 and it worked. I have no idea if it was working at 1.32 or whatever but its working now.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Hmmm,

Interesting. I was having many problems with getting HD files onto my PS3 with 1.32 and experiments with 1.5 seemed worse. (Before it would cut the file at 3.3GB and roughly 25 minutes but not it cuts the files to 335MB and roughtly 4 minutes.)

-B

·
Registered
156 Posts
May I ask how you are getting the .ts files on the PS3? My external hard drive hooked up to it won't allow the transfer of that size (15GB). Any tips on work arounds would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
.ts files... you mean HD .ts? How did you play these? Was it straight from a burned disk natively on the PS3 (no Linux)?

Walk, you have no sound... but Chap, you say it works perfectly. Are you saying you have sound too?

Someone clarify all this for me please.

I'm extremely interested in this. If HD .ts files play, and play smoothly with sound (hopefully 5.1), then a PS3 is in my near future.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure what this guy is talking about. I tried playing a small .ts file from a flash drive and from a dvd and neither were recognized as video files. The .ts files that I renamed to .mpg play, but still play just stereo audio as before. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. And my controller still wigs out while playing games so this console is on its way to storage.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The TS files I was playing I don't think had sound. They were calibration files to calibrate my system. It was under the PS3 OS, and not my linux OS.

I was under the impression that TS files couldn't be played at all. It seems that it can play them as long as they aren't too big.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been doing this since FW 1.32. Here's the method I use.

1. Record a show using my MyHD 120 card (max file size set to 2GB)

2. Edit and transcode the .ts files to a single MPEG2 TS file (up to 4GB in size so that it can fit on a DVD-R) using the HDTVtoMPEG program.

3. Transcode the MPEG2 TS file to MPEG2 PS file using VLC.

4. Either burn the file to a DVD-R or download it to your PS3 (using Abyss web server) and enjoy.

I've been using this method to record Smallville (19Mbps 1080i DD5.1 - CW), Everybody Hates Chris (19Mbps 1080i DD5.1 - CW) and 24 (12Mbps 720p DD5.1 - FOX) with my MYHD 120 card and playing the files back on my PS3 for a couple of weeks without any problems. If I don't convert the file to a MPEG2 PS file, I won't get sound from 24. But, I don't even need to convert the file to a MPEG2 PS file (step 3) to get sound from the shows I record on CW. My PS3 can read files that are 4GB in size with no problem. PS3 plays back the audio as 2.1 instead of 5.1, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Holy crap thats waaaaaaaay too much work.....

·
Registered
108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/0

That's what I say. Unless I can watch movies and 24 with 5.1, there's no point. The only high-def files I have on my ps3 are nudie clips. Lots of Eva Green from "The Dreamers". Those don't need sound

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/0

Actually it soudns like a lot of work, but it really isn't that much if you try it. Its just a tad bit time consuming to do the VLC part. Might be something you do in the middle of the night while you sleep.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I had tried up through #2, and had not been getting any sound. I have emailed myself these instructions, and will try them tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterFAN /forum/post/0

I've been doing this since FW 1.32. Here's the method I use.

1. Record a show using my MyHD 120 card (max file size set to 2GB)

2. Edit and transcode the .ts files to a single MPEG2 TS file (up to 4GB in size so that it can fit on a DVD-R) using the HDTVtoMPEG program.

3. Transcode the MPEG2 TS file to MPEG2 PS file using VLC.

4. Either burn the file to a DVD-R or download it to your PS3 (using Abyss web server) and enjoy.

I've been using this method to record Smallville (19Mbps 1080i DD5.1 - CW), Everybody Hates Chris (19Mbps 1080i DD5.1 - CW) and 24 (12Mbps 720p DD5.1 - FOX) with my MYHD 120 card and playing the files back on my PS3 for a couple of weeks without any problems. If I don't convert the file to a MPEG2 PS file, I won't get sound from 24. But, I don't even need to convert the file to a MPEG2 PS file (step 3) to get sound from the shows I record on CW. My PS3 can read files that are 4GB in size with no problem. PS3 plays back the audio as 2.1 instead of 5.1, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap /forum/post/0

Actually it soudns like a lot of work, but it really isn't that much if you try it. Its just a tad bit time consuming to do the VLC part. Might be something you do in the middle of the night while you sleep.

Make sure that you only transcode the video using VLC, do not re-render it. If you transcode the MPEG 2 TS file to MPEG 2 PS, it will take less than 10 minutes. I have a old Athlon 3200+ BTW.

All the steps, including editing out the comercials, take me less than 20 minutes from start to finish, for a 1 hours show.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson /forum/post/0

Ok,

So when I burn the MPEG2 HD clip to a DVD, do I need to put the file into a certain directory? Or just burn it and the PS3 will play it fine?

I assume dual layered DVDs will work too?

Thanks!

I've only used single layed disk, but I didn't have to put the file in a certain directory on the disk, I was able to just burn the file to the root directory of the disk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.