AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to keep up in here but it's hard!

All I want to do is find a way to playback the files recorded from a MyHD card on my Toshiba P-25-S508 "laptop". I have WinDVD 5 Platinum but that doesn't seem to work. I also have Vegas 4.0 installed but that doesn't appear to read the files eithrer.

Is there something out there that will either playback the files directly, or convert them to something that something else will play? I'm not talking about a 12-step process that ends up with a 19-page thread on all the little tricks and techniques to make it work. Something simple. Are we there yet?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to either convert them to WM 9 and write them to DVD-Rs or just copy them directly to the DVD-Rs.

Thanks -- Gary

·
Registered
108 Posts
First off, you can probably get WinDVD 5 to play the files by simply renaming them to have a .trp extension.

Other easy solutions are the Elecard player which you can download a free trial of here:
http://www.moonlight.co.il/6down_eval.htm

And the VideoLAN Client (VLC) which is free open source software and can be found here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

All of these solutions will require a good amount of processing power, so I hope that laptop is fast.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You need at least an audio and a video filter to be able to use dvhstool, not even mentioning that it doesn't have a friendly user interface (not to say no user interface at all).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at that thread but I'm still confused. They apear to be trying to get the Intervideo decoders and demultiplexer to work with something else. All I want to do is play the damn things.

I renamed the files to hav .trp extensions and WinDVD 5 starts to play the file but stutters a bit and then after a few seconds bombs out and goes away. It does this on the 2.4Ghz machine withthe MyHD card and on my 2,8GHz Toshiba laptop. Am I missing something here?

-- Gary

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GGoodrum
I renamed the files to hav .trp extensions and WinDVD 5 starts to play the file but stutters a bit and then after a few seconds bombs out and goes away. It does this on the 2.4Ghz machine withthe MyHD card and on my 2,8GHz Toshiba laptop. Am I missing something here?

-- Gary
Hmmm, now that i check, it looks like WinDVD does the same thing you describe on my system. So I guess that option is out:(

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have the toshiba p25-508 and so far it works find when renaming file extensions to .trp and playing them with windvd. It seemed to play ok over my lan at 100mb untill I started using the pc the file was stored on. PLaying from a dvd-r it worked ok. Best play was from copying file over to hard drive.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jgibo1
I have the toshiba p25-508 and so far it works find when renaming file extensions to .trp and playing them with windvd. It seemed to play ok over my lan at 100mb untill I started using the pc the file was stored on. PLaying from a dvd-r it worked ok. Best play was from copying file over to hard drive.
Which version of WinDVD are you using? I did have WinDVD working with tp/trp files on one of my computers but I think it was WinDVD 4, come to think of it. Maybe they broke something in WinDVD 5? I'll have to hunt around and see if I still have the WinDVD 4 install file.

-- Gary

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't have my laptop here at work but I think it is version 4. My friend reminded me about having stuttering issues when I first tried it. I turned the volume off on the laptop and the clips played without any problems. I think it started working right after installing directx 9.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a third computer, with WinDVD 3.0, it works but since it is only 1.8GHz, it stuttersquite a bit. I tried uninstalling WinDVD 5 and re-installing WinDVD 4 on the Toshiba but it does the same thing. Tried uninstalling 4 and installed WinDVD 3.0 but it won't show .trp files in the playlist. I'm pretty sure I have DirectX v9 on all the machines but just to be sure, I'm loading the latest (9.0b) on the 2.4GHz machine.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was trying to avoid, all this trial and error. I wish someone would come out with a program, or an upgrade for an existing product, that specifically is designed to play recorded ATSC files, regardless of which card was used to record them. I can't believe I'm the only one that needs such a program!

Anyway, thanks for the help.

-- Gary

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I can use OnAir HD on the 2.4GHz machine but on the laptop the audio plays fine but the video is a black screen. I guess I'll try Videolan next.

Thanks -- Gary

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I loaded in the latest nVidia drivers in the Toshiba (it has a GeForce FX Go5200 card/chip...) and now the OnAir HD works grea! I was even aboe to "steam" the files from the other machine via an 801.11a 54MHz wireless conncetion. Amazing!

WinDVD 5 still crashes. Before loading the drivers I tried WinDVD Recorder. This did the same thing as the OnAir HD did initially (audio played fine but no video...), but at least it didn't crash.

-- Gary

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm really lking the OnAir HD.

I've started taking some old hipix recordings and removing the commercials. Pain in the butt, but I'll have one heck on an Alias archive when I'm finished.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like it as well. For one, I don't have to rename the files to have a .trp extension. For another, it works without stuttering, even on my 1.8 GHz machine. My only worry is that it will expire in 31 days and I couldn't find a way on their website to buy a registration.

-- Gary

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
My only worry is that it will expire in 31 days and I couldn't find a way on their website to buy a registration.

-- Gary

I'm pretty sure the only way to get passed the 31 day expiration thing is to use the software on a machine that has their HDTV card installed in it.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My only worry is that it will expire in 31 days and I couldn't find a way on their website to buy a registration.

-- Gary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has anyone tried installing it "in the future"? Set your system clock to 10 years from now, install the software, and then reset the clock to current.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.