AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using tsmuxer to prep recorded off-air transport streams for archiving on BD. It works well, but I think I'm seeing more artifacts in the BD version than when I play the original file on my computer with vlcplayer. Can anyone confirm whether or not tsmuxer does any de/re-encoding of the transport stream when it creates the file structure for a BD? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1920x1080 29.97i MPEG2

384kbps AC-3 5.1

The BD disc is the same (including audio) leading me to believe that the file has NOT been changed; it's just that the video seems to have more artifacts. Perhaps the filtering on the computer playback just masks what is already there. Comparisons to the original on a TV might be possible, if I really want the answer empirically.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts

Quote:
It works well, but I think I'm seeing more artifacts in the BD version than when I play the original file on my computer with vlcplayer.

I don't know the specs of your computer, but playing a 1080x1920 resolution stream at even broadcast bit rates takes a bit of horsepower. Your processor/video card could be choking a bit now and then. Try the disc in a PS3, assuming you have one.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan /forum/post/17008744

There's a reason it's called tsMuxeR and not tsEncodeR.

Thank you, Doctor Obvious...
Actually, I don't even need to mux (or even encode) anything, as the transmitted MPEG stream should be "legal" for BD. I just want to be sure that MPEG stuff such as the GOP and other issues that might affect the decoded picture quality are not messed with as an unwanted byproduct of the the file structure conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George /forum/post/17008799

I don't know the specs of your computer, but playing a 1080x1920 resolution stream at even broadcast bit rates takes a bit of horsepower. Your processor/video card could be choking a bit now and then. Try the disc in a PS3, assuming you have one.

That is how I check the end product, both on a ps3 and a stand-alone BD player. Unfortunately, comparison of the original stream to the BD version on the same display is tricky. It's not on the DVR any more, just as a .ts on a hard drive, viewable only (or at at least conveniently) on a PC that may be doing a poor job, as you mentioned.)

·
Registered
315 Posts
If i were you i would've check the version on tsmuxer

secondly i would've try multiavchd it works great since it has all the programs behind the scenes like(eac3to,tsmuxer etc.)

And most imporatantly iam looking for answers on this following question:

when i made avchd with mutliavchd and burn it with imgburn with folder option

Iam using memorex dvd+r dl iam getting jitter playback on sony bluray player

what am i foing wrong?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamovie /forum/post/17009167

If i were you i would've check the version on tsmuxer

secondly i would've try multiavchd it works great since it has all the programs behind the scenes like(eac3to,tsmuxer etc.)

And most imporatantly iam looking for answers on this following question:

when i made avchd with mutliavchd and burn it with imgburn with folder option

Iam using memorex dvd+r dl iam getting jitter playback on sony bluray player

what am i foing wrong?

Hey, start your own thread!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/17008601

1920x1080 29.97i MPEG2

384kbps AC-3 5.1

The BD disc is the same (including audio) leading me to believe that the file has NOT been changed; it's just that the video seems to have more artifacts. Perhaps the filtering on the computer playback just masks what is already there. Comparisons to the original on a TV might be possible, if I really want the answer empirically.

VLC media player is not good for interlaced contents (it supports only crappy software deinterlacing methods). Use MPC HomeCinema with Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Deocder/DTS-DVD Video Decoder or CyberLink Video/SP Decoder. (Your video card must support good hardware deinterlacing.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts