AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone is interested this was posted on their site (tmpg-inc.) about their new DVD Author Pro package.

Kenny J.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm having enough trouble practicing with TDA now(but I'll visit their web site). Created a 5 chapter video and when I go to 'creating the menu' only the last chapter shows up. I'm going to try again with a different episode of Lost.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just played with Tsunami Dvd Author last night. Created great custom menus. Really love the program; there's a small learning curve but you can easily master it by just playing around with it. Curious, anyone know how you can add music to the menu?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Note that the secondary audio track can't be listened to simultaneous to or mixed with the primary track. Like Jay mentioned it can be used for commentary as an alternative to the primary audio track during main program playback. Not be confused with an audio track for adding background music to menu or a econd audio track in non-linear video editing for the purpose of adding mixed background music over primary narration or dialogue. It appears, however, that the pro version adds a slideshow feature, this may be able to be combined with the motions menus to add audio to intro menus...

·
Registered
948 Posts
vferrari.... Take no offense. But, it seems like you're becoming my shadow. As I once remarked to Kelson and it goes for you as well you have probably forgotten more about this stuff then I'll ever know.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is this their DVD Author 2.0 software translated into English? The Japanese version has been available for weeks. Where did you find the trial version? I can't seem to find it anywhere on their site, not under downloads anyway...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Doug O as the OP noted its at the tmpg-inc (Tsunami) link. You need to click on the Tsunami link if you are at the Pegasys website.

Jay,

I thought you might think as such. It just so happens that you are posting good information and I am filling in some of the blanks or supplementing what you are posting for clarity. I take no offense and neither should you. Keep on posting...

·
Registered
650 Posts
I guess no trial version or else my eyesight is playing up on me again. The Japanese version (DVD Author 2.0) has a 30 day trial download. I'm at the tmpg-inc site right now and there is only an option to buy or upgrade purchase. No trial version at all...

I guess all those years I spent in anime fandom as well as having Altavista translate web pages paid off as I can read what is in the Japanese site or figure out what they are saying. I like the fact that there are now more menu and button creation options though the downloadable menus are just plain awful. I also like the preview mode (simulation) of what the completed disc will look like. Runs like glue on my PIII but it's optimized for P4s anyway. I need more time to play around with it...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ahhh...okay...the English language version of the site says only "coming soon". So, the the Pro version isn't available yet in English. Okay...well, I'll just keep playing with the Japanese one so I can report back as to how good it is. Most of the functions are the same as TDA 1.5/6 so you aren't going to be confused there. You might be on the editing side though as it is now able to do frame accurate editing (so they say). I haven't explored the new menuing yet, but it's only a matter of time. So far though, the software looks promising...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oops...I didn't mention the DVD slideshow function either. I'll have to compare it to a product like Proshow Gold though...

·
Registered
650 Posts
From the spec sheet, no. Mpeg-2, Dolby Digital and Linear PCM only (2 streams simultaneously possible). Some other things though:

The editing is much like Womble's line now in that only the editing points are re-encoded and joined together, you can do menus in 16:9 aspect ratio, audio filters added, volume increase added (up to 500%), audio normalization added, fade in and out added, audio equalization added, you can prepare the menu template beforehand. I haven't tried that out yet but I hope to soon. The addition of a BGM for the main menu should be good. I have quite a few series discs that could benefit from that. Transitional effects when changing pictures in a slide show, 2 audio stream BGM for slideshows. Audio conversion is now possible, if you have dual language broadcasts, the streams can be separated out before authoring (ie. selectable language tracks), high speed compression for material that exceeds the available DVD space.

Looks like I should try to produce an episodic disc so I can figure out what everything does.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Doug O how is your P3 handling it? I looked on their site and DVD Author 1.6 has min P3 800 with 256mb ram. This Pro version has P4 2.0 with 516rm. I've got a P3 1.4 Powerleap Cel. with 448ram running XP. I'm not counting updating the pc anytime soon.

Kenny J.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My PC is handling it just fine, about the same speed as 1.6. I also have 512 Meg of RAM so that could be why. Also, I'm not re-encoding anything. I use other software that works with the PIII for that. So far, so good...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Doug,

I take it that the dialog buttons and what not in the 2.0 version are in Japanese (no english install option) so you are able to use it based on your familiarity with the english 1.5/1.6 version of TDA?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, the dialog buttons at the top of the window are exactly the same functions, load track, edit, etc. as in 1.6. I'm going to use the audio functions later today on a file that has really low audio and see how well it does. I'll report my findings here...

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Any indication yet whether or not this new version handles subtitles.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O
Yes, the dialog buttons at the top of the window are exactly the same functions
I take it this means "Yes they are in Japanese" and "Yes they are the same function buttons as in TDA 1.5/1.6 (just labeled in Japanese)"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.