AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TheaterTek not as good as Pioneer 626 through [email protected] and dscaler ????

I don't understand why TheaterTek produces a PQ that is not as sharp and detail rich as the Pioneer/[email protected]/dscaler combo.

Can anyone help on this?

Also scaling the DVD through the HTPC seems to loose some of the 3D effect and some details, compared to connecting the DVD directly to the PJ via s-video and doing a 16:9 sqeece, only plus seems to be getting rid of the black "scan-lines"?

My expectations when hooking up the HTPC was an overall better PQ.

My system:

DVD: Pioneer 626

PC: MSI [email protected] via s-video

P4 2.4GHz

ASUS P4PE

512 MB PC2700

DVDROM: Creative 2x speed

Sapphire Radeon 9100 64MB

Projector: SonyVPH1271

Software:

Dscaler 4.1.5

TeaterTek 1.5.0.15

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well for video source dvds I prefer rp91 + flyvideo2000 + dscaler to any of the software players because the processing and deinterlacing in dscaler is way better than that of the software players. For film dvds though, they are practically indistinguishable. What kind of dvds are you playing? And what filters are you running on dscaler? Sharpness and denoise can help the image vs. the software players. Also, maybe this is a calibration issue? I thought TheaterTek's default settings gave a slightly washed out look that sacrificed 3D depth for shadow detail due to the high default gamma setting. Your standalone dvd player may not be doing that.

As for scaling, dscaler is doing the same thing as the software players in that it sends a 480p signal to be scaled by your graphics card, which is of good quality. I don't know anything about black scanlines, so I can't comment on that.

Mike U.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mulveling
Well for video source dvds I prefer rp91 + flyvideo2000 + dscaler to any of the software players because the processing and deinterlacing in dscaler is way better than that of the software players. For film dvds though, they are practically indistinguishable.
Mike,

That, of course, is to be expected.

For film DVDs, the two interlaced fields came from the same frame of film - and hence the same instant in time.

The de-interlace strategy for film-based material is to "weave" them together. Absolutely no need for fancy

de-interlace algorithms for film-based material.

So for film-based DVDs, both dScaler, TT, and other software players do the same de-interlace; because there is single

unambigous way to de-interlace when the 2 fields have the same "time-stamp".

The de-interlace of film-based material must also include proper handling of "inverse telecine" or "3:2 pulldown",

but dScaler and the software players do this properly. Again, the proper algorithm is unambiguous.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike

I have only been testing with PAL movies untill now:

LOTR 4 disc version

Starwars 1 & 2

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

In Dscaler i use the Sharpness filter at max. which seemed to giv best PQ

and in the Advanced settings under CX2388x Settings I set Comb Filter from Full Comb to Off. The latter gave a huge improvment from the composite input (VHS).

Other than that I havn't changed anything.

I ofcause did a calibration (THX) first.

The "black scan-lines" I mentioned is simply the black space

between scan-lines, which in the first place is the reason for using a line-scaler.

Henrik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.