Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking for a second generation STB for my Mits HDTV. I have read all the comments posted here and in other places, and it seems as though there are no really great choices to be had in the bunch.

While at my local video outlet yesterday, the manager (a friend) mentioned that he had special ordered a Panasonic TU HDS20 for a customer who had since left the area almost overnight for a new job in Europe. Hes offered it to me for his cost, $620.00. I realize that all of the second gen units have shortcomings, but given all of this, would this be a good choice, given the price?

I will only be using the unit for OTA reception as I am blocked from any possible satellite feeds by a forest of huge oak trees.

It will be used with my Mitsubishi WS65807.

Any opinions, expertise or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Having used most of the current STB's I would say purchase it. The only thing holding the Panasonic back is the guide and user interface.

·
Registered
147 Posts
From another mad chemist,

I've been using the TUHDS20 since february and have been very happy with it's performance. I'm receiving 5 ota channels out of philly with no problems, and use it for DirecTV with no problems here either. Love digital and love hdtv. good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's a reasonable price, but for about the same money I bought the Samsung SIRT150, which is OTA only, supports all output modes like the Pansonic (1080i, 720p, 480p), is comparably sensitive (about 6 dB better than RCA DTC-100), and has a faster user guide and nice remote. Looks better too, but that's not very important, and highly subjective ;-)

Check out the comments on this board about the Panasonic, and if it sounds like it meets your needs, well, the price is reasonable- why not go for it?

-Jon

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think the Panasonic has a native mode that the Samsung doesn't.

I hear the native mode will output the same mode (1080i, 720p, 480p)

whichever that is, that the signal comes in from the station.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If you need a STB and can stand the slow GUI and the loud fan, you will get a great picture from the panny. Price seems right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.