AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just installed the Panasonic I sat down to watch the Sopranos on Channel 509. Picture is great, however, every 10-30 seconds the picture, not the sound, drops out. This does not seem to happen on OTA or SD DirecTv channels. I have the Panasonic set to output 720p.

When I checked signal strength on Satellite B it was between 70% and 80%. Is this too low for reliable reception?

If anyone had this problem, I would be interested to know what the cause is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not have the Panasonic but I do know that HBOHD on channel 509 is broadcast in 1080i. maybe that (downconversion) is contributing to your problem?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been using the TUHDS20 since february and have not experienced any dropouts on either 509 or 199. For me, signal strength on Sat B is in the 60-70 range. I'm running my receiver in hybrid mode and it's connected to a panny tau that accepts 480p or 1080i. Are any of your ota stations broadcasting in 720p? How is reception on that station?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JPS,

I am unable to get an OTA signal from a 720p station. The reason for the 720p output setting is that I have a Sony 10HT projector which can output 720 natively.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JPS,

I am unable to get an OTA signal from a 720p station. The reason for the 720p output setting is that I have a Sony 10HT projector which can output 720 natively.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ian.... if you do a search you will find a long histroy of people who have had drop-out problems with the panny box. I was one of them, and, in fact, that's why I switched to the sony (which, as I'm sure you know, has problems of its own). To be perfectly fair, a lot of people have not experienced any dropoutout problems with this box... but I wasn't one of them. If you call Panasonic, they will tell you that 70-80% is not strong enough for hd channels... but as anyone on this forum will tell you, that's ludicrous. Unfortunatley, I can't give you any advice on fixing the probem because I never figured out a way to do so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the identical problem with my TU-HDS20. I even brought the satellite installer back to tweak the dish just to make sure it was not a reception problem. I only had 30 days to do a return and I used 29 to try and troubleshoot the problem. I could not fix it myself, and Panasonic sent me the following:

"There is a hardware upgrade to resolve both the dropouts and fan noise. The particulars of how these upgrades will be implemented have not yet been established but should be in place shortly. I will keep you posted.

John Campbell ( JC )

Panasonic National Diagnostic Center"

I ended up returning the item to Crutchfield. They FedExed me a replacement which I got the next day, and the problem is gone. So I'm sure it's a hardware problem given my experience and the message I got from Panasonic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi,

I experienced the same dropout problem, but here is my story...

I used the Panny for OTA for a few days...no dropouts. I then activated my directv standard def (I don't have the oval dish) and the drop outs began with directv AND ota.

I took the Panny back, because I previously had one I returned a month before because of the slow menu and knew that receiver had no drop out problems, so I thought it might just be a defective unit. (For purposes of explanation, after returning the first Panny I tried the Sony, but took that back because of sync issues...then I got the second Panny, which I took back because of dropouts...I'm out of breath http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

That leads me to my present dilemma...I now have another Panny but I'm only using it for OTA, for the past week, to see if dropouts occur...none at all. I'm thinking about activating the directv today to see if the dropout problem kicks in on this new unit. I'll let you know...but I'm almost afraid to activate it.

Take care,

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
As mentioned earlier in the "TU-HDS20 needs signal of 85+..." thread I had trouble with signal dropouts on DirecTV HD on my Panasonic TU-HDS20. The dealer I got it from swapped it with another but still had the problem.

Last Thursday I decided to try a unit from a different manufacturer, in this case a Mitsubishi SR-HD5. So far everything has been perfect not even a berp, steady, solid picture. So the Panasonics definitely have some problems.

ALSO, I talked to Stan in Panasonic service and he did acknowledge that they are having this problem on many units. He said the problem is EMI causing some problems with the MPEG decoding timing, thus causing picture breakup. He also said they are working on work-a-round (not a fix) and it is being tested. He doesn't know how it will be implemented or applied to existing units.

Stan went on to say that in order to fix the problem we should unplug components in our systems to see which one(s)are causing the interference and remove the offending product and/or notify that manufacturer that there equipment is emmitting to much EMI and have them fix it. Boy, these guys are not going to take responsibility for what is an obvious design flaw!

Also, Stan said there would be a forced download upgrade in the next few weeks. He did not go into detail about all the improvemnts (except its not going to fix dropouts) but it will supposedly improve menu speed by a couple of seconds. He said that's about the best they will be able do do on that front.

Well, I really liked the Panasonic unit and it has a lot of potential but i'm sticking with the one that is working without dropouts. There are some design flaws that Panasonic definitely needs to iron out before I would recommend there unit.

So I'm stuck with a Panny unit also, I'm hoping the dealer will give me my money back. Not sure they will since I've had the unit (actually second, a replacement) since mid January.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
My gripe with the Panasonic has to do with the lack of a signal strength meter for digital over the air reception. Is there any kind of device I could use externally to optimize it? I only have trouble with one station and a lot of trial and error results in occasional reception late at night. I'm sure the expense of a field strength meter is not worth it, so I'm thinking I could borrow or rent something. I'm thinking the local ham radio operators might have something I can use.

Another feature I'd like to see in the Panasonic is a filter for the guide that limits "All Channels" to just the channels you have a subscription for. The same thing can be done by editing the favorites list, but I just want a few favorites in the list.

Also, no VCR control, no VGA port, no low speed data port for hookup to a Tivo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.