AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a problem with the timer on the TU-HDS20 several times in the last couple weeks. It works sometimes, but on 3 or four different occassions, when I check the status the unit seems to have reset itself and not started the timer. The symptoms sem to be (a) the guide switches from "favorites" to "all", (b) the aspect ratio changes (i.e., from 4:3 to 16:9, and gray bars get added to the 4:3 image), and (c) the timer still says "on" and has the time and channel info, but it doesn't start.

Anyone else out there using the timer? Have you seen anything like this? Any suggestions for what might be happening?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I have not yet used the timer, can you give a quick rundown of what it does. I have not been able to find the time to read the manual with all the other manuals to read at the same time....

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had the same problem with the unit resetting on its own. It usually does it when off. I tend to believe it occurs after it has been powered on a while. I have found if I go to the timer menu and hit action while over the 'ON' field for the 1st timer, all the other timers work again.

Just got the unit back from the service center, so I don't know if they upgrades will fix this problem or not.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I concur, the timer is flakey at best. I hope Panasonic is working on improving this feature. I use it to record downconverted HD on my unsubbed SA Tivo, the timers have to work and be in sync. It's a real pain when it fails. Has anyone reported this to Panasonic?

--Rick

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a couple of related things happening when the timer fails: the guide switches from Favorites to All, and the aspect switches from 16:9 to 4:3 (fullscreen to gray bars). Sometimes it will go for days working correctly; other times it will mess up several days in a row. I agree that this does seem to happen when the unit is off. I don't think that it is related to being on for a while, or at least I haven't seen the correlation. As far as I can tell, it seems to happen mostly between mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

My unit was manufactured in ealry 2001 (January or febriary).

I haven't reported this to Panasonic support because they have been completely worthless and haven't provided solutions to any problem I've had, including a problem with the digitial audio that has existed since I got the unit.

I'm planning to send in my unit for the hardware upgrades and am hoping that will take care of the problems.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Since getting my unit back from the service center last monday, I have not seen the unit reset itself and no more timer problems.

I agree that the NJ support center is worthless, they are either clueless or give out wrong or useless information.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thar would be great news, since I just sent my receiver off for the upgrade. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

>>Since getting my unit back from the service center last monday,

>>I have not seen the unit reset itself and no more timer problems.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got my unit back from the service center. Sent it out last Monday and receivedit back this Monday, complete with the fan noise and drop-out upgrades. The good news is that the dropout problem is gone; the bad news is that the timer is still flaky. It may have improved, but it still doesn't work all the time. Of the five shows I've recorded this week, one time the unit did the odd reset (or whatever it is) that causes the timer not to function. Same symptoms as before: aspect changes, the guide goes from Favorites to All, and the timer does not start. Oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.