AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the upgrade downloaded last night during World Cup.

All I can say is WOW!

The unit is exponentially faster now, it used to repaint the entire screen and description when moving around the guide, now the description at top doesn't re-paint until you settle on a grid box. The remote input is faster also.

It's like a whole new receiver!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
The remote input is faster also.
How much faster?

I just oredered a Zenith 1080 for $749.00 and I think I still have time to cancel my order. I was trying to decide between these two STB's, but went with the Zenith after hearing about the various problems with the Panasonic.

P.S. I do know there are also "various problems" with the Zenith.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much faster? Like going from a moped to a corvette!

To view info on a program 24 hours in advance used to take several minutes to scroll 24 hours in advance, now it takes precisely 1 second! You can now hit "r-tune" to jump ahead. The difference in speed is astonishing.

It's at least 3x faster than it was.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My string of bad luck with HDTV continues (see some of my other posts). If you had made your post even 30 minutes earlier, I could have saved myself over $200.00.

Too late now, though.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just checked mine, definitely faster!!! After the factory upgrade last month and this latest software this STB is finally up to expectations! Love my Panny and love that native 720P.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
wow. didn't even know they were still planning more upgrades.

that's great, looks like I'll have to plug it in again and see what takes...i got so sick and tired of the speed - or lack thereof - that I went back to my DST-3000 after about a month...

don't suppose the upgrade has quieted the fan down though...

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I also go my upgrade last night. Now insteady of being painfully slow it's just very very very slow. Still many time slower menus and program guide paging than even the lest expensive ($50) RCA Directv receivers. The unit just has a way underpowered processor.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Did you reboot after the upgrade?

I am getting 1-2s channel surfing - used to be 3-4s which is what my old sony box did. It is nearly as fast as an old analog tuner now!

The menus are way faster now - it was always painful to use the guide - now it is not.

Glad I stuck with this box!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Will be the upgrade be on 110? I'm using mine as OTA only and just want to check since there has been some shuffling of channels on DTV as of late.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
WOW, this update has been sent from the Gods above!

I have two panny units, one for ota only.

I also have the Hughes e86, the panny speed is now that of the E86!

Looks like I need to get that second panny updated..

The panny now rocks with great PQ, 720P, And speed!:D

Edit:

For those on the fence with the purchase of the Panny, DO it NOW!

I'm sure the used price for this stb will soon rise with this update!!;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are using the STB as an OTA only, it there some way to get the upgrade?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nnci
You can now hit "r-tune" to jump ahead.
Could you please elaborate on using this shortcut and any others you may have discovered? Moving around the guide is an exercise in frustration.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I did a couple of quick tests and have not seen the unit reset itself (e.g disabled timers, change in aspect ratio, and reset tuning mode to all from fav) when quickly powered off and on like it did before. Hope this means they also fixed the reset problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got the upgrade. When I page up or down in the guide it is a little faster, but no where near the speed of any huges model-which I have 3 . Dont expect a moped to corvette conversion or you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
so it's definitely faster - apparently I got it in the last couple days (watch directivo for non hd content). I say apparently because I can't actually confirm it.

how the heck do I get the setup menu now? The firmware seems to have remapped 'menu' to be the same as 'info'

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There are areas that at lightning fast. I recommend running in Hybrid mode. If you tune to any channel that is not 1080i you'll definitely see a big difference.

Way to go Panasonic.

Jeez. I wonder what else they fixed?

--Rick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is the improvement good enough for me to buy this vs the SIRT-150? I know that the SIRT-150 is OTA only, but that's probably what I'd be using it for most. Does it have a strong channel pull (comparable to the SIRT-150)? Right now, the prices are about the same, and it'd be nice to have the DirectTV ability, but I like the SIRT-150's audio output abilities and it is supposed to lock onto OTA stations really well.

Which one should I use?

I have a feeling the Replay TV 3mod I have won't work as well with either, but I guess I'll have to sacrifice something.

·
Registered
833 Posts
To reiterate some previous inquiries, for us OTA-only users which bird has the upgrade, and what is the schedule? (Sounds like only early each Mon AM?) Looks like I'll have to "loan" it to someone who has a dish to get the new SW. Also, can someone confirm that my unit can receive the upgrade without a DirecTV activation? TIA.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DVDAPEX
Does it have a strong channel pull (comparable to the SIRT-150)?

Even before the upgrade the Panny had one of the strongest channel pulls in the business. That, and it's ability to show all broadcasts formats, was one of its greatest strengths IMHO.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.