AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS IT POSSIBLE TO NOW PURCHASE A TU-HDS20 WITH THE HARDWARE UPGRADES ON THE FAN NOISE, DROP OUT, AND THE SOFTWARE UPGRADE, OR WILL WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR A FUTURE VERSION?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I am returning mine today because I cannot stand the slow guide anymore. I ignored the fan noise but the speed of the guide is agonizingly s l o w . I hope I can still meet the 30 day return policy (purhased: 7/9/01, today: 8/9/01) 31 days? Cross my fingers.

------------------

TV: Panasonic TH-42PW3

HD: Panasonic TU-HDS20

DVD:? Maybe Panasonic DVD-RP91K???

·
Registered
211 Posts
HSELARRY, All of the fixes are in and available through Panasonic. SO if you decide to get one, all it takes is one phone call to their help line to get it.

Once its done, this is one sweet box. Best picture quality of all the boxes, and 720p to boot!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can anyone refer me to more information on these problems (and any others)?

I don't have an issue with fan noise as the unit is inside a cabinet. I have the latest SW update. However, I am frequently plagued by dropouts on selected shows on stations with strong signals.

Who do I contact at Panasonic? Phone number?

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RetinalBurnOut:
Can anyone refer me to more information on these problems (and any others)?

I don't have an issue with fan noise as the unit is inside a cabinet. I have the latest SW update. However, I am frequently plagued by dropouts on selected shows on stations with strong signals.

Who do I contact at Panasonic? Phone number?

Thanks.
Look for some info in this recent thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015287.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Being 2 days late, I was still able to return my Panny for a refund. What got me furious was when I originally purchased the STB, it was $899 ($799 + 100 for the dish). I didn't return the dish because I didn't have all the boxes,screws, etc... But when I returned it today, they said the value of the dish was $150 not the $100. WTF!!!

I lost an additional $40 because I "accidentally" said that the HU card has already been activated. So all in all, I lost almost $200 just to watch the lame DirecTV demo loop and a couple of HD movies on HBO. I guess that's the price you pay to enjoy HDTV.

------------------

HD: Panasonic TU-HDS20

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now I totally have nothing to watch because I'm sick of watching my DVD's. Maybe I'll play somemore Gran Turismo 3! (my thumb has recovered.)

------------------

HD: R.I.P TU-HDS20 (returned!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I spoke to Panasonic today about the original question of this thread. In April, the assembly line made a changeover to take care of the fan issue. They do not know the exact serial number related to the changeover, but you should have the "fixed fan" version if the unit was made after April. On the menu and software side, that should take care of itself the first time you hook up the unit to a satellite, if it isn't already in the unit.

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
I just don't understand this issue with dropouts that plague the TU-HDS20. I was hoping they would fix that with the software upgrade you guys received. I had one (before I returned it) and got the B.S. from Panasonic about signal strengths in excess of 85 for proper reception. I indicated that no other STB on the market makes this "requirement". It's a great box with probably the best PQ of any and it's really ashame it has such a fatal flaw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.