AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my first DIY build - a 15" Ultimax in a 3^ft sealed flat pack enclosure from Erich and - side note - this forum is amazing. So much great knowledge being shared here it made my first time noob attempt at a build go very smooth. Hearing distinguishable low end notes instead of a general boom in music is fantastic.

My first build has given me the feeling that DIY is a true rabbit hole. Before I finished the above build I started planning my next and had some questions for Tuba builders out there. My next project is putting sound in my backyard. I do not want or need to blow the neighbors away, but I want it to sound good at low to medium volumes - plan is a couple rock speakers by the pool and a couple outdoor speakers hung from the ceiling of my covered patio on an A/B receiver so I can turn each pair on or off. It's not a large area, but after looking through BFMs site, the low profile Tuba HT would be perfect to put under the patio, laid down like a bench (perfect seating for the little ones taking a pool break), with a cabinet next to it for the amp and electronics. I live in AZ so moisture would not be an issue, and would be covered in duratex with possible a cushion on top to make it more bench like.

From reading the threads here, I have a feeling that would be plenty of output for my application, and you can't beat the low cost of that particular build. Plus, would enjoy the project, which would be much more difficult than the flat pack build which couldn't have been easier.

Thoughts? I know from a performance perspective it's probably overkill for that application, but since it's cheaper than a commercial outdoor sub, why not?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotrocks  /t/1523936/tuba-ht-low-profile-outdoor-performance#post_24519828

I know from a performance perspective it's probably overkill for that application, but since it's cheaper than a commercial outdoor sub, why not?
Because you don't need 20Hz for music. There are a number of more appropriate choices, TTLS, T39, T45 for instance. T60 if you really want to irritate your neighbors.

Many of my forum members have outdoor installations, ask them what they think is best for yours.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I built one last year for my outdoor system.

Ironically, it was too powerful in the 20-30Hz region for my taste and that was with less than 100w. It just rocked the neighborhood a little too much. I did not want to add an EQ to tame it, so I went with two AutoTubas instead. They are about perfect, blend well with my outdoor system and are much smaller so I was able to hide them.

Just put some screen material over the front to keep the critters out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523936/tuba-ht-low-profile-outdoor-performance#post_24519970

Because you don't need 20Hz for music. There are a number of more appropriate choices, TTLS, T39, T45 for instance. T60 if you really want to irritate your neighbors.

Many of my forum members have outdoor installations, ask them what they think is best for yours.

Agreed - I'll look into the TTLS. The form factor is what I like about it for this application. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts