Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/press/pr2284.html

This is interesting, the engineers at AOpen decided to make a P4 845 based motherboard with a tube amp built in to "combine the warmth and depth - tonal realism, if you will - of the sound produced by an audio tube, with one of our state-of the-art motherboards".

Very odd. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the link anyway. One of the most in-depth articles I have seen yet. Can't wait to see (hear?) the first real review.:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
There is no way this MB will provide better sound than any old MB with an M-Audio card. The AC97 audio codec is second rate.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, I understand the AC97 codec isn't very good and I don't have very high hopes for this board. But, the press I have read so far states that they studied vintage audio designs and used high quality components in their design. Probably just PR hype but those that heard the board said it sounded pretty good (compared to what?). I would only use it in my server HTPC for secondary use any way. My main HTPC will have an M-Audio card for sure. The board seems OK besides having fewer PCI slots. If some real audiophiles give it a thumbs up, it may be time to get some tube monoblocks and amplify the front channels by tube. Most that are dissing the board here are speculating on things that are defined in the press releases. I just want to keep an open mind until the reviews come in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.