AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a nice tube amp for a small room (~16 sq.m.) and have a budget of around $1,200. So far, I've only auditioned Cayin. I've looked at Mystere online, but have yet to audition them. Is Mystere out of my price range?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really depends on your speakers and what you are looking for in a tube amp. I have a Jolida EL34 integrated, with upgraded tube compliment and it works very good with my Silverline Sonatas. It is a nice balance of warmth and power/control. Of course, I also long for the SET (300b) sound on occasion, and that might be my next 2-ch upgrade.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a Raysonic SP-120 for $800 on sale. It's 50W per channel and produces beautiful music IMHO. Supposedly the MSR was $2,350. I guess what I'm saying is shop around and you may bump into a great price on whatever amp you wind up with.

And yes, the ONIX SP3 from what I've read is also highly regarded. There's another one called the Glow Amp One (I think it's being replaced with the Amp Two). It also has a USB port. Good luck!

-Mike

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb996 /forum/post/15538895

Really depends on your speakers and what you are looking for in a tube amp. I have a Jolida EL34 integrated

This is a true statement, with that being said I too have a Jolida 302b driving a pair of Toen Arro's to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the Jolida. I was also looking at the Cayin A50T. I liked how it sounds and the price is right. Any reviews on the Cayin?

Also, I was thinking of using PSB B15, Paradigm Mini Monitor, Dali or B&W 685 for the speakers. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC /forum/post/15539870

I've heard great things about the Peachtree Decco or Nova. I've only looked briefly but I think the main difference is the Nova has more power.

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.p...-Products.html

The Nova is amazing, I cant believe how many things this integrated does well, it puts a lot more expensive separates to shame

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8d4 /forum/post/15572549

The Nova is amazing, I cant believe how many things this integrated does well, it puts a lot more expensive separates to shame

Firstly, there are many differences between the Peachtree Audio Decco, and Nova. I own a Decco and I can attest to its audio qualities. The Nova has yet to be released, but it looks to be a different animal in many ways save for the enclosure it's mounted in.

The Decco is a sweet integrated amplifier and DAC. I drive my Onix Strata Mini's as well as perform DAC duties for my Oppo DV-980H.

The Strata Mini's are fairly inefficient speakers at 86db. They have built in 350 watt, powered 8" subwoofers in each speaker which leave the Decco open to drive only the midrange, and tweeters of the Strata Mini's.

They are a nice match. I mainly listening to music that is burned from online. I must confess, not all my music is high resolution, but I have a plan to slowly but surely move to lossless audio whenever possible. Which begins with the purchase of a SB3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.