AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,


I'm trying to figure out a setup I want to use for playing music for my computer. I have a firepod and I am thinking about getting some active monitors for it, but I don't have the money for probably a few weeks. In the mean time I do actually have a tube preamp and poweramp I used awhille ago for music (but not hooked up to the computer). I want to try this out in the meantime, but I have no clue how to hook it up to my computer.


In the picture is the connections it has..any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,855 Posts
All you need is a good two-channel USB sound card. It’ll have RCA outputs that you can send directly to the amp. The computer would control the volume. However, if you’d prefer to have external volume control, you could send the sound card outputs to the pre amp first.


That said, you could just use the computer’s headphone jack to provide a signal to the amp or pre amp, but sound quality would most likely be better with an outboard sound card.


Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,760 Posts
You simply need a 1/8th inch to RCA adapter at any Radioshack. You won't need a preamplifier, simply plug the 1/8th inch jack into the headphone jack on the front or rear of your computer and then plug the RCA's into the power amp...Done.


Note to self, turn down the volume on the computer before making any connections.


This should get you by in the meantime
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/19587044


You simply need a 1/8th inch to RCA adapter at any Radioshack. You won't need a preamplifier, simply plug the 1/8th inch jack into the headphone jack on the front or rear of your computer and then plug the RCA's into the power amp...Done.


Note to self, turn down the volume on the computer before making any connections.


This should get you by in the meantime


Would it sound better if I had a sound card? If so would it be possible to use my firepod as a sound card?

Also would I need a DAC? Still not sure when exactly one would need one but I always see them mentioned.


The speakers I found are infinity rs 10's. The older bookshelf model I believe.

Are these decent at all? Any recommendations on some good passive monitors?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19588166


Would it sound better if I had a sound card?

If you can currently connect to your firepod, then you don't need a sound card.
Quote:
If so would it be possible to use my firepod as a sound card?

Yes, as shown on page 19 here .
Quote:
Also would I need a DAC?

No, your firepod already has one. Use firepod to control overall volume and until you get active monitors (Behringer Truth B2030A is good but there are better ones for more $$), plug the analog "out" from firepod to your amp.

Quote:
The speakers I found are infinity rs 10's. The older bookshelf model I believe.

Are these decent at all? Any recommendations on some good passive monitors?

Why buy passive monitors now if you are going to get active one soon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd /forum/post/19588295


If you can use your firepod with current system then no.


Yes, as shown on page 19 here .


No, your firepod already has one. Use firepod to control overall volume and until you get active monitors (Behringer Truth B2030A is good but there are better ones for more $$), plug the analog "out" from firepod to your amp.



Why buy passive monitors now if you are going to get active one soon?

thanks so much!


Ok so I would plug the analog out from the firepod with a 1/8th inch to RCA adapter to the amp?


And well would it be better to use my firepod with the tube amp and passive speakers or go with just firepod to active monitors?


Just looking for the best sound quality. I mean when it comes to guitar tubes are pretty much always better haha so that's why I was thinking it would be better to use the amp over active monitors
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19588338


Ok so I would plug the analog out from the firepod with a 1/8th inch to RCA adapter to the amp?

Analog out from firepod is 1/4" TS, so you need a pair of IC cable with 1/4" TS male on one end and RCA male plug on the other. Or if you already have IC cable with RCA plugs at each end, just get a pair of RCA-1/4" TS adapter.

Quote:
And well would it be better to use my firepod with the tube amp and passive speakers or go with just firepod to active monitors?


Just looking for the best sound quality. I mean when it comes to guitar tubes are pretty much always better haha so that's why I was thinking it would be better to use the amp over active monitors

If you can borrow from someone or store, the best is to have both speakers in your room and pick the one you like the sound of. Remember, some active monitors have XLR plug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd /forum/post/19588471


Analog out from firepod is 1/4" TS, so you need a pair of IC cable with 1/4" TS male on one end and RCA male plug on the other. Or if you already have IC cable with RCA plugs at each end, just get a pair of RCA-1/4" TS adapter.



If you can borrow from someone or store, the best is to have both speakers in your room and pick the one you like the sound of. Remember, some active monitors have XLR plug.

in general does just having active monitors sound better? Do most people do it that way?


Not really sure what the XLR comment is all about sorry pretty new to this
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake
in general does just having active monitors sound better? Do most people do it that way?
Active monitors are usually made for commercial use, ie recording / mastering studio and thus they are made with balanced connections such as 1/4" and XLR. The difference you are asking is between how the speakers are voiced (by speaker designer). Studio monitors are generally made to produce "flat" response in audio range (mid bass to upper frequency in reality) for their neutral sound. Some of them can be adjusted (Behringer monitor I mentioned) but most people don't like the sound of "flat" response. Your tube amp may have its own "voicing" or not and depending on that, you will either choose from active vs passive monitor or active vs passive monitor vs how certain passive monitor sounds with your tube amp. Again, you will have to try and pick the sound of speaker you like better.
Quote:
Not really sure what the XLR comment is all about sorry pretty new to this
Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd
Active monitors are usually made for commercial use, ie recording / mastering studio and thus they are made with balanced connections such as 1/4" and XLR. The difference you are asking is between how the speakers are voiced (by speaker designer). Studio monitors are generally made to produce "flat" response in audio range (mid bass to upper frequency in reality) for their neutral sound. Some of them can be adjusted (Behringer monitor I mentioned) but most people don't like the sound of "flat" response. Your tube amp may have its own "voicing" or not and depending on that, you will either choose from active vs passive monitor or active vs passive monitor vs how certain passive monitor sounds with your tube amp. Again, you will have to try and pick the sound of speaker you like better.


Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
i have done some recording for fun (why I have the firepod) and obviously would benefit for that from getting some active monitors. Would you happen to know the difference between the m audio bx5a's and the behringers? they are around the same price. Are they both a lot better than the m audio av40's?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake
Would you happen to know the difference between the m audio bx5a's and the behringers? they are around the same price. Are they both a lot better than the m audio av40's?
Neither of M-Audio models have adjustable options like Behringer so I would pick Behringer.

If your budget allows, look up Mackie HRmk2 Series .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd
Neither of M-Audio models have adjustable options like Behringer so I would pick Behringer.

If your budget allows, look up Mackie HRmk2 Series .
Yeah the mackies are a little more than I want to spend I think.

Really considering the behringers. I might also want to get a sub with them any suggestion on that?


thanks by the way, you've been a great help!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19589134


I might also want to get a sub with them any suggestion on that?

Depending on your budget. SVS and Hsu both make good subs for the money. As long as you get the one with line "in" and "out" with crossover and phase adjustments (very common), you should be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd /forum/post/19603546


Depending on your budget. SVS and Hsu both make good subs for the money. As long as you get the one with line "in" and "out" with crossover and phase adjustments (very common), you should be ok.

hmm I said probably just like 100 or so or is that too low for one with those options?

I was thinking about the polk psw110... any good?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
If you don't mind taking risks on used, it's a good way to save money. $100 may be very difficult for a new decent quality sub. You can get it now and upgrade later or wait till you have at least $300 or more.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top