AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys recommend a tube preamp or integrated amp with HT-bypass that has the "tube magic" sound?

I've seen a good list of amps that has ht-bypass but i cant listen/audition most of them as they are not available in our country (Philippines). I might have to buy it in the USA and have it shipped here.

I'm currently looking at the primaluna evo300 or 400 but some say that they are on the low to mid tier only and don't have as much "tube sound" as the others.

Anyway, what tube amp with htbypass would you recommend for me?

Budget is around $4000 and i can buy used. It will drive B&W 805d3 on a small enclosed room (18sqm / 193sqft / 1500cuft). If i buy a tube preamp (instead of an integrated), then i will use my rotel 1585 temporarily to power the 805d3 fronts until i get more budget for a tube power amp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of amps with ht-bypass: (saw this in another thread)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would not classify those PL integrated amps as low to mid tier. In their price range they are bargains. They are among the very best in that price range. Have you read the reviews?

Perhaps PL does not have the old fashioned Dynaco sound but modern tube amps are far better balanced while maintaining the depth of sound and roundness valves famously supply.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone in facebook suggested that I look at the ps audio BHK signature preamplifier since its price is almost the same as the PL EVO400 preamp (only $200 difference). The problem is, the BHK is only a hybrid tube preamp so i dont know if it will give me the tube sound i am looking for.

On the other hand, my friend suggested to look at used Balanced Audio Technology tube amps. Are the BAT much better than Primaluna?

·
Registered
727 Posts
This may not be easy to do depending on where you live, but I’d never spend that king of money without an in person audition or a money back guarantee if you can’t listen in person.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may not be easy to do depending on where you live, but I’d never spend that king of money without an in person audition or a money back guarantee if you can’t listen in person.
yeah story of my life. we don't have that much options here in the Philippines as choices are not that much so we often go by reviews and blindly buy some items in the USA and have it shipped here based on user reviews only.

·
Registered
727 Posts
yeah story of my life. we don't have that much options here in the Philippines as choices are not that much so we often go by reviews and blindly buy some items in the USA and have it shipped here based on user reviews only.
I see. I think the members here are discerning. I hope more members give their opinions. I have no experience with BAT electronics but do obviously have a high opinion of Prima Luna. Also consider Cary and Rogue for tube integrated amps in this price range.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Prima Luna punches above its weight but they aren't known for their tubey sound as mentioned.
BAT are great but spendy. You could look at Line Magnetic as well (shameless plug) but seriously, certain Line Magnetic amps will give you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also. I think you would be better off with a Tube Pre and SS amp rather than a SS pre and tube amp.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also. I think you would be better off with a Tube Pre and SS amp rather than a SS pre and tube amp.
Why did you say that primaluna are not known for their "tubey" sound? I've read lots of posts who are very happy with their warm, sweet and tubey sound.

Also, I actually plan to have a Tube pre and Tube amp or maybe go Tube Integrated as this will dramatically lower the cost by half.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts