Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I took the plunge and bought a Barco Graphics 808 with 8000 hrs on it. The green and blue tubes have some burn in on them (which I knew about at purchase), but I got the projector for next to nothing so I'm happy. I'm driving it from a HTPC at [email protected] and apart from the slight burn in, the picture is amazing. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

As I have a background in electronics, I'd like to try to change out the tubes and make the picture even better. My question is should I change out the red tube as well considering the hours on the projector? The burn on the other tubes is from a Windows desktop and is most pronounced on the blue tube. I've had the lenses off and can see no burn at all on the red, and projecting a pure red screen shows no purity problems as well.

A Barco rep I talked to here (Sydney) about it mentioned that I might want to try "equalising" the burn on the blue tube by burning in a negative pattern. To me, this would seem to be fairly hard to do in that I'd have to somehow capture the burnt in image then manipulate the image on the PC and try to line it all up etc. I'd also expect that the light output from the blue tube would then be reduced overall. Has anybody else heard of this or gone down that road?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Regards,

Phillip Brown

Sydney, Australia

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello Phillip

I retubed a 808s and the picture was unbelievable sharp

If you have it for cheap do all 3 tubes red is also responsible for a sharp picture

Rob

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'd change all the three tubes, for the fact that, doing so, you will be able to obtain a perfect color balance and get a gtearer raster, too.

Romano

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.