AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to reset the tube timer on a Sony VPH-D50?

I just had the tubes in my pj replaced. I purchased the tubes a little while ago from crtcinema.com and had a local service guy come out for the install.

He did a great job, and I'm really very happy with the new display. But he had not worked with a D50 before (was familiar with lots of other sonys). So we pretty much just had the service manual to guide us for some things.

The service manual doesnt say anything about how to reset the timer for the tubes. And none of the obvious things we tried worked.

Searching through this forum and usenet I've found one post that talked about this subject. It said to hold down both the left and right buttons when in service mode and looking at the tube timer. I've tried that, but nothing seems to happen.

Any suggestions? In case it matters, its a VPH-D50Q that was manufactured in Oct 97.

Thanks!

Kris

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same question, finally called Sony service in Canada. (just around the corner)

As it turns out, it's very simple.

Go to the tube timers in service mode, select one of the tubes and press and HOLD reset on the projector panel, not the remote. After about 10 sec. a menu pops up to confirm the reset, hit enter. Done.

This is with ROM 1.1.2

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea, kinda scary for the used market.

Perhaps a "to good to be true" purchaser should ask for service documentation, invoices etc.

At least the chassis hours cannot be reset.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KrisRoberts
Does anyone know how to reset the tube timer on a Sony VPH-D50?

I just had the tubes in my pj replaced. I purchased the tubes a little while ago from crtcinema.com and had a local service guy come out for the install.

He did a great job, and I'm really very happy with the new display. But he had not worked with a D50 before (was familiar with lots of other sonys). So we pretty much just had the service manual to guide us for some things.

The service manual doesn't say anything about how to reset the timer for the tubes. And none of the obvious things we tried worked.

Thanks!

Kris
I don't get it. If you have the service manual and you're replacing the tubes, you would have needed to be in the "service mode" for the tube replacement and correct alignment. Once in the service mode, how can you miss the page with the serial number, chassis hours and crt reset?

It is because the "tube hour reset" being so easy to do that many G70 and D50 pj's have had the tube hours reset. The obvious sign is the tubes being worn and the chassis hours showing 4800 hours and the three crt hours are 700 hours. The best indication of a decent machine is having the chassis and crt hours match. While no guarantee, it helps.

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.