AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is rather a basic question I guess but common sense has failed me. I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 front speakers. They are rather small, 350 x 185 x 255 mm (13 3/4 x 7 5/6 x 10 1/16 inches) http://www.monitoraudio.com.au/products/bronze-bx/bx2/ far too small to just place on the ground. I have seen numerous stands comprising steel plates and 2 or 3 steel tubes, all rather expensive, but have now found some that are slightly more affordable at $99 for a pair of 60 cm tall stands or there are 90cm tall stands for $119 http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/speaker-stands/ I've never understood how other stands I've seen can cost > $200. Or is that normal and justifiable, and these $99 stands are in some way cutting corners ?

So, to actually ask a question, I've thought about this and found no answer: how are the speakers attached to the top plate, if at all? It seems pretty risky to just have them sitting there, but I think double sided tape would interfere with the sound and there are no holes for screws. Do they really just sit on the top plate?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
High quality stands are worth it, the ones I'm using are I think £350. They come supplied with mass loaded material, the both of them weigh about 90kg.

The cheaper ones I found are quite wobbly, light. I certainly wouldn't put my £1000 standmounts on them as they'll topple over.

As for fitting, blue tack should be good enough. I guess if you have children or dogs that won't be enough, you could use double sided tape or foam pads but you could ruin the veneer taking them off.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
You are paying for a heavier stand, that is more secure, and might also come with cable routing, or the ability to fill the column with a weighted material. I use VTI stands, and paid ~$140 for a pair of 36" stands for my surrounds. They are cast iron and very solid, the feet have adjustable spikes, and I can route the cables inside and add material for even better rigidity. The Sanus Steel Series is also worth checking out, in my experiences it is worth spending an extra $30-50 for a nice pair of stands.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the stands I've seen can be filled with sand or lead weights, and have routing for cables and cost quite a lot, over $200. It looks like these cheap ones have no facilities for weighting or routing, though that may be modded I imagine with a drill. £350 is a lot of money, more than the $AUS250 ones I'd seen. Thanks for the info, looks like these expensive stands are worth it, but I was never considering a $10 folding table fro IKEA. I'm surprised at the mounting of the speaker boxes, though, I have no children or pets, but would be worried about horrible accidents. I wonder if any of the machine shops around here would consider the job.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emueyes  /t/1523253/tubular-steel-speaker-stands#post_24501911

Most of the stands I've seen can be filled with sand or lead weights, and have routing for cables and cost quite a lot, over $200. It looks like these cheap ones have no facilities for weighting or routing, though that may be modded I imagine with a drill. £350 is a lot of money, more than the $AUS250 ones I'd seen. Thanks for the info, looks like these expensive stands are worth it, but I was never considering a $10 folding table fro IKEA. I'm surprised at the mounting of the speaker boxes, though, I have no children or pets, but would be worried about horrible accidents. I wonder if any of the machine shops around here would consider the job.

Ah I just saw you are in Australia, that will likely inflate a lot of the prices. The Blu Tack suggestion above is a good one, as long as the speakers are not in a high traffic area, and given you don't have children or pets, they should be pretty safe. Some stands have clamps on the bottom to hold the speaker in place, that could be another route.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Sanus Steel Foundations stands are well-made, and sell for $120-160 in the USA, depending on the exact model.

The ones that high-end manufacturers make for their own speakers do often cost several hundred dollars, but that is a bit of a rip-off.

You should be able to look at them and tell if they are heavy and rigid enough.

And by all means fill the columns with either sand or steel bird shot for damping and mass.

The top of the stands should have small metal spikes pointing up that the speakers sit on, just as the base has downward-pointing spikes to go through carpeting.

·
Registered
865 Posts
My favorite stand is the Paradigm Premier J-Series stands. They have more style than the standard three pole design, are very sturdy/heavy, can be filled with sand/shot and have floor spikes, if needed.
Paradigm_Premier_J60.jpg 135k .jpg file

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts