AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I will have my office 150 and my home 154 to play with. If there are any of you who are curious about the differences between these budget projectors, you are more than welcome to come by.

------------------

VISIT HDTVOK.COM

tulsaprojector.com

·
Registered
605 Posts
Have a great time. I've got a meeting tonight. Otherwise, I'd try to stop by.

It's good to know that you're in town. I'm "in the market" for a projector, but I've been waiting forever. We'll be in touch.

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Orbillius,

Please post here when you have compared them. I love my LT154 and have always wanted to hear a review of the 150 side by side with it, but could never get my hands on one for comparison. I know their menu systems are very similar. I wish I was in Oklahoma.

Anxiously awaiting,

John

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have compared them side by side. I chose the 154 due to rainbows. I love the 154 in combination with HD net.

------------------

VISIT HDTVOK.COM

tulsaprojector.com

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
orb,

Can you comment on how the following compare between the 2 projectors:

1) screendoor

2) black level - how do darker movies like the Matrix and dark scenes in Castaway compare?

3) light output - is the difference noticable? Any worse/better with some ambient light.

4) 3d-like picture (depth)

I occasionally notice a fleeting rainbow on certain dvd scenes with my LT150 but not that disturbing. A constantly glaringly bright stuck pixel or two would probably drive me mad though. The higher contrast ratio of the LT150 sold me specwise but now that the LT154 can be had for a better price, I think it's a difficult decision choosing between the two.

Also, what screen and source do you use?

Many thanks!

hardwired

·
Registered
186 Posts
The specifications on the 154 show the picture as 16:9 while the specifications on the 150 show 4:3. Is this true??

What is the real difference? Dell shows no 150's in stock but the 154 with the 20% discount today is a few 4 over 2k, a good deal.

Bill T

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
I can't find any mention of the LT154 on the nec website. only 155 and 156.

How come?
The 154 is only available from Dell. The only difference between it and the 155 is less light output and lack of MLA on the 154. I bought one for $2100, my friend bought the 155 for $4200 a few months ago and we can't really see much difference in picture quality. He's pissed ;-)

Quote:
The specifications on the 154 show the picture as 16:9 while the specifications on the 150 show 4:3. Is this true??
The 154 is definitely 4:3 but will accept HDTV, however so can the 150 so I'm not sure what the specs are talking about.

-Kai

·
Registered
186 Posts
Factory Preset Resolution Modes:Â*Â*1600 x 1200 ? 1280 x 1024 ? 1152 x 900 ? 1152 x 870 ? 1920 x 1080 ? 1280 x 720 ? 800 x 600 ? 832 x 624 ? 640 x 480 ? 768 x 576 ? 720 x 483 ? 1024 x 768 / 85 GHz

Front Panel Controls:Â*Â*Power on/off

Image Aspect Ratio:Â*Â*16:9

this is off the Dell site. I am still trying to find out what the difference is between the LT150 and LT154 besides light output??

BT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
I am still trying to find out what the difference is between the LT150 and LT154 besides light output??
You do realize that the 154 is an LCD and the 150 is a DLP? That's the BIG difference between the two. You have to choose which is more important to you, better color, zoom, no rainbow (LT154) or better blacks, less screendoor (LT150). I have not seen the LT150 personally but with the LT154 my only disappointments are dead pixels and grey rather than true black. You can't really go wrong with either projector, I'm still amazed we can get a projectors as good as either of these for $2000.

-Kai

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havent forgitten about this. I am waiting on my superbit DVDs and finishing the masking for my screen. I am going to set up the 150 and the 154 at the same time and switch between the two. And of course, screen caps.

We made a mice screen yesterday. It has rests that sit on top of my 53in RPTV with felt pads. The legs fold up and the screen is easy to tuck away. The screen is 5 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Viewig distance is 9 feet. I am using 1024x615 in windows with good results. I wanted to make a widescren with a bit more vertical room for web browsing.

Preliminary tests confirm most of the assumptions made so far:

150:

better blacks

less screen door

rainbow problem (I see them constantly!)

154:

Better color

brighter

sometimes noticeable screendoor.

I had several friends over last night to watch Gladiator on the 154 and everyone commented on the picture quality. I will follow this up with comparative screen caps.

If any of you Tulsa natives want to check this out, just contact me. BTW, does anyone know how to enable the digital out on a sb live x-gamer in win xp?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.