1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,607 Posts
... The result is the hand-braided, open weave cable with ‘REDpurl’, or ‘Adaptive Asymmetric Geometry’ tuneable spacers ...
I admire the creativity and wish I were clever enough to entice "audiophiles" to pay me "£240 per metre pair" for speaker wire. :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
These are probably the cables you have to elevate off the floor too!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: garygreyh

·
Registered
20,844 Posts
I admire the creativity and wish I were clever enough to entice "audiophiles" to pay me "£240 per metre pair" for speaker wire. :)
Actually the cables are free with the purchase of the "spacers". ;)

Reactions: derekmoore

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Are those silly wire spacers something new? Wonder what fantasy started them?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Im saving for pure gold 12 gauge cables myself.

·
Registered
20,844 Posts

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
The idea is exactly what I have been talking about here and people just laugh. I designed it in Pure engineering point of view. I did a lot of experiment and build a lot of cables to test. It is all about the series INDUCTANCE, NOT the resistance where people here kept talking about without the scientific knowledge. I even posted the formula here, it's only HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICS, not any mystical high math or physics.

The multi cable is to LOWER the inductance. People here do NOT understand even at upper audio frequencies, the reactance ( exactly like resistance) of the cable due to inductance can be in range of 0.2ohm, this make 0.01ohm from cable resistance irrelebant. What make it worst is this reactance cause PHASE SHIFT with frequency. This is like you move the tweeter away to a different spot.

Multiple wire cables drastically reduce inductance of the cable, but increase capacitance of the cable and can make a lot of badly designed amps unstable and give strange sound quality. Then they blame on the cable. Don't think big name amps are ok, My Nakamichi PA-7 designed by the famous Nelson Pass is NOT stable even with my multi wire cable that is already only 1/2 the capacitance of the Kimber Kable. Obviously he doesn't know how to tame amplifiers.

Back to this thread. Different weaving pattern gives different capacitance and produce different sound ( as long as the power amp is stable). I experimented with different weaving patterns. The first picture show two cables of much tighter coupling. I use 6 pairs of 16 gauge speaker cables. I first twisted them into 3 separate pairs, the one labeled (1) braided like the little girl ponytail. (2) Just twisting the 3 pairs together.

The second picture is the lowest capacitance, just 6 pairs twisted together.

They are sounded different, the braided one is the most in your face, the sound stage is right in front and it's too close for my taste. I think only good if you run 12ft or longer. I still like the one in the second picture.

I think the one they posted has the lowest capacitance, it's a step better than 12 gauge Monster and more amps can tolerate the capacitance.

Yes, Speaker cable is just as important as the amp. You can have a very good amp with very high damping factor at high frequency, but the inductance of the cable will lower the damping factor down to less than 20 at higher frequencies.

Like I said, I experimented a lot, cables used is the cheapest of the cheap ebay special copper clad cable........BUT of cause the cable uses the high tech material only found in one place in China!!!!:D:D:eek::p

Ha!!! They can publish a paper on this? I should have published mine a few years ago. It's no different from the idea of Kimber Kable. Obviously they know the theory.

AND it's funny that most people don't understand the first thing about science, joke about this as if they know. Please, stop and learn before talking. It's only High School physics. I showed the formula a few times, it's NOT that hard to understand.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,185 Posts

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
You should try using "spacers".

No, Spacer keep more distance between cables and less effective. Key is to have an amp that can be stable with higher capacitance cables and it will improve the sound more. Their cable only use 4 pairs, I use 6 pairs. Kimber Kable use even more.

Kimber is more tightly wound, their cables are like 6000pF, good luck finding an amp that is stable. My cables are between 2500pF to 3500pF or so, much easier on the amps. Their cable with spacers must be about 1000pF to 1500pF max.

·
Registered
20,844 Posts
No, Spacer keep more distance between cables and less effective. Key is to have an amp that can be stable with higher capacitance cables and it will improve the sound more. Their cable only use 4 pairs, I use 6 pairs. Kimber Kable use even more.
But that is not what this is about. ;)

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
But that is not what this is about. ;)
About keeping the damping factor high at high frequency. You read anything I wrote and link? it's high school math and physics. Just complex numbers.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
My cable is much easier to build, idea is the same as the article. $27 a pair and one hour of work. Note it only work if you have good amps with like 4 pairs of output transistors. If the amp has one or two pairs, don't do it. Cables are from ebay express the special Chinese made copper clad special material!!!! The connectors from Amazon express.

·
Registered
20,844 Posts
About keeping the damping factor high at high frequency. You read anything I wrote and link? it's high school math and physics. Just complex numbers.

Do you have anything to provide with math or physics that prove or disprove the integrity of the product in discussion?
This is devolving again with DIY projects.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Reactions: Will P

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had a short look into wire inductance influence using Xsim.
10m of 12AWG parallel speaker cable has an inductance of 0.015mH and a resistance of 0.05Ohm.

Series wiring an inductor with the same properties to a B&C 16R compression driver made no difference.
Series wiring an inductor with the same properties to a Dayton Audio 4R woofer made for a difference of a fraction of a db above 1khz.
Series wiring an inductor with the same properties to a center speaker using above components and a passive crossover made for a difference of a fraction of a db.
Series wiring an inductor with the same properties to the mentioned center speaker using the lowest inductance inductor for the woofer crossover I could find (0.1mH) made for a difference of about 1.5db above 1khz (loss). I don't know if a crossover like that would be practical/used in actual designs.
When using passive crossovers you have much bigger problems than wire inductance imo.

@alan0345 could you give an example on the impact of wire inductance you observed, ideally with measurement data?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
wonder if rew could be used to tune a cable? what measurements would you use?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.