AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a HTPC for my bedroom. I'm new to all this and need help choosing a TV tuner that will suit my needs. It must have 2 tuners so I can record up to 2 shows at a time.

At the moment we don't get the HD channels but we are considering upgrading to their new HD DVR for the livingroom. The computer is hooked to a 42" LCD. My main goal is to be able to record and watch my favorite shows in my room without renting a extra DVR.

I would like to pick up the local HD channels and I am not against the Idea of installing a OTA antenna if that is the way to go. At the moment the only signal I have is the DirecTV signal.

Please help!

Thank You,

Ken

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
You've got a couple of options with DirecTV. First, you can rent a DVR from them as has already been suggested. Second, you can get a Hauppauge HD-PVR to interface the DirecTV receiver with your HTPC for recording HD programs. The downside is that you'll end up with more boxes (one DTV receiver and one HD-PVR = one tuner) and you have to purchase extra hardware (HD-PVR goes for about $200; I believe Dell Home has them on sale for about $185).

Whatever you decide will probably require extra DirecTV receivers, DVRs, or HD-PVRs, which will lock you into another two year extension on your service agreement. Going OTA for locals is a good idea, especially if you watch a lot of network programming. One of the reasons I dropped DirecTV after ten years was because they couldn't offer all of my local channels in HD.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19506892

HTPC's work great for OTA, but for DirectTV it's easier just to rent the 2nd DVR.

Don't let the folks on this forum scare you off too much. While it's true you need an STB and a tuner to record, it's not nearly the end of the world scenario many here make it out to be.

I've currently got Dish, with one box hooked to an HD PVR (USB-UIRT to control it) and an R5000 modded box, all run through SageTV, with extenders at each TV. With this setup I can watch any channel or any recording any time on any TV in the house. Works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrone06 /forum/post/19509254

You could download directv2pc
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...ogy/directv2pc

Cant watch live tv on it but can watch any of your recorded shows from the living room dvr. Works pretty well.

Or you could enable/sign up for the multiroom feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 /forum/post/19888942

Does dish have a comparable program like the direct2pc?

Not really, but they do have a Slingloaded DVR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts