AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my aunt has two physical antenna's on top of her roof so that she can access all of her channels and she just uses a 2 way coax switcher right now. Im building her a computer and am hoping to record ota atsc but am confused as to whether i need to buy two tuner cards or not since she has two separate coax cords. I know that most tuner cards can record two channels at once now but it is always internal (1 coax cord)....so is there an atsc tuner card that actually has 2 physical coax (not fm) ports so or any tuner cards that can be run together using thier supported software???

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
depends, do the channels overlap, are they combined, is one antenna vhf and one uhf...?

most likely you would not get all channels through one antenna.

if they don't combine you need two tuner cards to access all channels, but this should work out well since its rare that you would watch the same channel on both tuners. you can set tuner priorities and which tuner gets what channels inside Media center.

I think its also nice in any dvr system to have at least two tuners, for time shifting recordings or recording another channel while watching another, etc...

if they DO combine, then you only NEED one tuner. Since NTSC (analog) isn't broadcast any longer) you don't need a separate card to access all the channels. Before you had to have a tuner to access each ATSC and NTSC.

Just set it up for ATSC.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he is only looking for atsc but there are two different antenna's and he has windows xp without media center so the question is can the provided software (insert recommendation for tuner card too) support two separate tuner cards in the software and is there such a thing as a tuner card with 2 coax inputs that are not pre assigned to say 1 fm and one hybrid tuner but instead is configurable via the software....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts