AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many tuner(s) cards can Vista support? Also, can Hauppauge and Ati based tuner cards play nice together? system currently has AIW HD and a single tuner 650. Thinking of adding a WinTV HVR-2250 (appears to me a better card than the ATI650 duals;but i might be wrong
)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Not sure about vista, but win7 supports up to 4 of each type (atsc, qam ntsc).

you could use 4 2250s, if 4 of the tuners were qam and the over 4 were atsc.

i think vista might be the same.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Vista will support up to four tuners. But I think you need to install tv pack in order to do that. Also, I have Hauppauge and Avermedia tuners together in vista and they work. So different cards work together.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From looking at the specs of the Hauppauge HVR 2250 dual tuner card, it seems to me a better, more capable product than the ATI 650 dual.

How do y'all feel about the various dual tuners out there? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Vista Home Premium supports 2 tuners *OF EACH TYPE*

Vista Ultimate supports like 6 of each type.

Windows 7 will support at least 4 tuners of each type. Ultimate will probably support more than Pro which will probably support more than Home Premium, but the minimum is at least 4 of each type.

By TYPE I mean NTSC, ATSC, QAM, and CableCARD.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 /forum/post/16927260

From looking at the specs of the Hauppauge HVR 2250 dual tuner card, it seems to me a better, more capable product than the ATI 650 dual.

How do y'all feel about the various dual tuners out there? Any suggestions?

Off the top of my head, I would say the 3 most popular dual tuner clearQAM solutions would probably be:

HD Homerun(Around$150)

Hauppauge 2250(around $125)

Avermedia Duet A188(around $70)

The Homerun is an external box that runs over ethernet, the other 2 are PCI-x. I have the 2250 and it does a nice job. The Homerun has a large group of vocal owners who seem to love it. I have been reading good things about the Duet both here and elsewhere, but keep in mind it is digital only. You won't be able to pick up any analog cable channels. Pick whichever one suits your budget best and I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Unless you need NTSC (analog cable) then I'd go with the Aver A188, which you can get $65 OEM. It's much cheaper than the 2250 and gives you dual ATSC/QAM tuners. Only other reason for the 2250 would be if you want one tuner to be from cable source (QAM) and the other to be from antennta (ATSC). The Aver only has 1 coax, so both tuners have to be from the same source.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yea, the using splitters is a pain.

I have 2 Avermedia M780 tuners (1 analog, 1 QAM/ATSC each) and using 2 card slots and splitters is a pain. I will have an Avermedia A188 here tomorrow that I got for $59.99 at Newegg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I asked for advice here re: VMC 32bit and tuners. Was told that VMC did not play well with the combination of analog and digital tuners and I should expect spotty or mixed results.

I persevered and with the help of a program called MCE Tuner Extender, ( I think) was able to get my new Avermedia Duet to work with for OTA and my old WinPVR950 to receive analog cable. This worked for a month or so and then, about the time of the Digital Transition, I lost the analog tuner and have been unable to get it back.

Love the Duet. Good signal catcher, good picture and quicker than the WinPVR950 on the channel change.

I believe that MCE Tuner Extender may be helpful in getting more that 2 tuners to work but, my guess is that you'll have better luck staying all digital.(or all analog?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts