AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I use my VCR's tuner to get a tv signal to my InFocus X-1 projector. The VCR only has a composite out and the picture quality is ho hum.

Does a tuner type of device exist that will allow me to get my basic cable service into an S-video connector to connect to my projector? Maybe with ordinary broadcast tv I won't be able to tell the difference? I can move to digital cable but prefer to avoid that route.

Any tips are appreciated.

Greg Matty

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
High Def tuners can receive NTSC and ATSC and have both composite and S-video outputs. So do the Mitusbishi S-Video VCRs. You can output the antenna signal of the Mitsu on S-Video to your X-1

I believe one of the Integra A/V receivers will transcode composite video to S-video.

Alan

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I think that Viewsonic device is exactly what I am looking for. As long as it has component input for my DVD player. Then I can plug my DVD and cable tv into it and use the VGA to get the signal into my X-1.

Greg Matty

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Depending on the cable provider in your area many Scientific Atlantic, Motorola, and General Instrument DCT boxes (digital cable boxes) have outputs for not only S-Video, but also for SPDIF (coaxial digital audio). Better picture and sound. On top of that you get HBO!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for pointing that out. The V6 unit, at least I think that is what it is called, does sell for around $250 so I may have to wait for my Christmas bonus before buying one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.