Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the market for a new plasma, so far undecided on the panny 42PWD6UY with no tuner, or the panny 42PA20U with tuner, I like the 6uy better since it has not built in speakers, which I do not need. However I would be using this mainly for DVD movies and TV viewing. Problem with TV (comcast cable) I do not have a cable box, The only tuner available is thru an old VCR.

Question for all those that own a display with no tuner, How do you connect and which tuner do you recommend.

Any help would be appreciated

ZSO

·
Registered
884 Posts
I use a DirecTiVo, (as in Direct TV receiver with TiVo), its the most efficient way to watch TV there is, as long as you don't need HD. I'm waiting for the HD version, next March hopefully.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zso
Hi,

I am in the market for a new plasma, so far undecided on the panny 42PWD6UY with no tuner, or the panny 42PA20U with tuner, I like the 6uy better since it has not built in speakers, which I do not need. However I would be using this mainly for DVD movies and TV viewing. Problem with TV (comcast cable) I do not have a cable box, The only tuner available is thru an old VCR.
If you are currently only getting analog cable, I'm sure the VCR tuner would be fine. Afterall, we are talking about a composite, standard definition signal.

If Comcast offers HD in your area, rent the HD box from them so you can enjoy HD programming as well as the other stuff.

Glen

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me re Phrase the question, Do I buy a plasma with a tuner or do I buy the 6uy without a tuner. I do not want no sticken comcast box to rent and besides, they only offer about seven HDTV channels available, 4 of which I could get free OTA.

So is it better to get the 6uy and spend 500 dollars for a tv tuner or should i get the 20U?

ZSO

·
Registered
90 Posts
Same situation with whether to go 6UY or PA20 - don't need speakers, don't like lack of 720p, lack of advanced controls, must wall mount.

Now the tuner issue. I'm in same boat as I have Comcast analog. I don't want to pay extra for digital or HD. So the run down is the price differential between the 6UY and PA20. If you buy a HDTV STB to serve as tuner and also receive OTA HDTV that will run to same amount as price differential. But now you've got a tuner + OTA HDTV. And having the OTA HDTV is the bonus for me which turns the tide on top of the above reasons why I'm going with the 6UY.

Couple of options with the HDTV STB - Zenith 520/Sony 200 or Samsung 165. However LG (Zenith/Sony) is releasing a new model series in October. So bit of waiting game until it is released. The HDTV hardware forum has been very informative on this. Consensus is that the Zenith wins out vs the Samsung and the Sony is the same unit as the Zenith but with different branding and a higher price. Supposedly LG will no longer be branding the STB under the Zenith moniker.

But that's my path for a 6UY tuner. VCR is the cheapest alternative.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm also getting the 6UY. Right now I've got Comcast with a motorola box for the premium channels. If I want to get OTA channels, do I need to buy another HDTV STB? And if so, what's the cheapest one I can get inasmuch as I'll be getting rid of it as soon as the HD Tivo comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.