AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've contacted Avermedia support for this but am hoping someone here can help before them.

Just bought a new Aermedia AverTVHD Duet (A188, white box) to use with Windows Media Center. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 installed. It is a new install and new build within the last week. I installed the card in a PCIe x4 slot and connected to my comcast coax with digital cable (clear QAM). Booted and windows detected the card and installed the correct/latest driver per Avermedia's website (not a MS driver). However, when I go to windows media center --> tasks --> settings --> tv --> setup tv signal, it says "Tuner not found, the tv signal cannot be configured because a TV tuner was not detected". I go back to the device manager and it is still there. I've deleted the driver, scanned for hardware changes so it re-installed, rebooted, no go. I've done the same with the Windows driver it auto detects, the driver on the CD, and the driver from Avermedia's website. I've powered down, reseated the card and powered on. Nothing seems to convince WMC that there IS a tuner card installed. The device manager does not complain about the device. The device manager says it is working properly while 7MC continues to say it cannot find a tuner.

I'm running an i3 530 in a Gigabyte H55 motherboard with the latest bios and video drivers.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
837 Posts
In your device manager does it say avermedia A188? I have the same A188 and notice sometimes it doesn't work but it doesnt show up in device manager.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Can you play a DVD in MC? If yes at least that eliminate the decoder software and the graphics card from being involved in the problem.

I assume that when you say you have the latest drivers that you are referring to the ones from the Aver Media website and not ones from Microsoft.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@justin - yes it says A188c in device manager and has never not been there. I know a lot of people have had the "disappearing tuner" problem, but this is not disappearing, it appears in device manager but WMC thinks there is no tuner to use.

@walford - I'll try that out tonight. All my movies are either xvid/avi or VC1/TS. The xvid/avi files play okay but I am having problems, and making changes, in an effort to get VC1/TS to play in WMP.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thats an odd issue. Try a few resets without touching anything but i bet you already tried it. There shouldn't be any reason for media center not to pickup the device if device manager does.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you are making changes to support the playing of other file types in wmp then this is probably the cause of your problem. If you cannot play a DVD from your optical drive in MC then that would confirm that your changes are the cause.

Use the following utiliyt to make sure that you have MC compatible decoder selectd as the preferred decoder.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/bl...aces-vmcd.aspx

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it plays DVD's just fine in WMP.

Yeah I already reseated it once. I don't like to make habbits of pulling cards out all the time but will do what I have to. What if I put it in the x16 slot? Someone also recommended changing the voltage, dunno about that though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryerse /forum/post/18253250

I've contacted Avermedia support for this but am hoping someone here can help before them.

Just bought a new Aermedia AverTVHD Duet (A188, white box) to use with Windows Media Center. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 installed. It is a new install and new build within the last week. I installed the card in a PCIe x4 slot and connected to my comcast coax with digital cable (clear QAM). Booted and windows detected the card and installed the correct/latest driver per Avermedia's website (not a MS driver). However, when I go to windows media center --> tasks --> settings --> tv --> setup tv signal, it says "Tuner not found, the tv signal cannot be configured because a TV tuner was not detected". I go back to the device manager and it is still there. I've deleted the driver, scanned for hardware changes so it re-installed, rebooted, no go. I've done the same with the Windows driver it auto detects, the driver on the CD, and the driver from Avermedia's website. I've powered down, reseated the card and powered on. Nothing seems to convince WMC that there IS a tuner card installed. The device manager does not complain about the device. The device manager says it is working properly while 7MC continues to say it cannot find a tuner.

I'm running an i3 530 in a Gigabyte H55 motherboard with the latest bios and video drivers.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

M

I gave up on the A188. It was a piece of garbage...they claim to have made hardware changes to it but I don't care anymore. My original A188 did the exact same things and I'd have to do the following:

- Remove the A188 from the device manager and uninstall the driver.

- Reboot

- Reinstall the A188 driver (not the Microsoft Driver)

- Start 7MC & rescan all the channels

- Repeat every couple of days

Doing this worked 100% of the time to fix the "No Tuner Available". I didnt use sleep or hibernate so my issue wasn't directly related to the S3 issues that are common with early versions of this card.

Read up on this card here (I am redtl1ks76 towards the end):
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/7...x?PageIndex=11

You're best bet is to RMA it. Avermedia took almost 5 weeks to get my RMA and the only way I could get in contact with them was through their online chat which is not always available. They did not return any calls, they did not return any email (form based email from their website or direct from Yahoo Mail). The new card they sent me did not have those problems (through a day of testing) but I had already moved to a different setup that works 100% of the time so now my "new" 9120M card is on ebay.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that's pretty bad. I was not happy to call their support to be greeted with "we're busy, please leave a message". I can still return to newegg and might end up doing that. Maybe I'll try out a hauppauge card.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Wow! I thought mine disappeared because i moved the machine and it wiggled the card. They do look very loose connection to the PCIE slot.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
mryerse,

I am not surprised that you can play a DVD in WMP I would you like you to confirm that you can play one directly from the DVD drive using Media Center also.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the connection to the slot on mine is loose, but it shows up fine in Device Manager. It seems other folks are having different problems than me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18256721

mryerse,

I am not surprised that you can play a DVD in WMP I would you like you to confirm that you can play one directly from the DVD drive using Media Center also.

yes, just tested Get Smart DVD in sata connected BD through WMC and it plays well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryerse /forum/post/18256641

Wow, that's pretty bad. I was not happy to call their support to be greeted with "we're busy, please leave a message". I can still return to newegg and might end up doing that. Maybe I'll try out a hauppauge card.

Out of curiousity, what is the serial number on the back of the card? If you can still return it to Newegg I'm guessing it's within 30 days and if that's the case I'm wondering if you got an old card or if the problem still persists on new revisions.

Yeah, dont hold your breath for them to call back. They won't.

Don't get me wrong either. I don't hate Avermedia. The setup that works so great for me is a pair of A180 PCI cards. They are phenomenal, they work well, and they take up the two legacy PCI spaces on my AM3 motherboard.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryerse /forum/post/18256729

Yeah the connection to the slot on mine is loose, but it shows up fine in Device Manager. It seems other folks are having different problems than me.

I agree. It does have the card in the sound, video, game controllers folder right?

When you open the device in device manager it doesn't say anything like device can't start code1 or any other errors or anything?

If it's fine in device manager then it's working fine and theres a problem with media center. I would look at reinstalling windows7 or trying to set it up with another program that uses tuners just to makesure it's media center thats messing up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18256807

I agree. It does have the card in the sound, video, game controllers folder right?

When you open the device in device manager it doesn't say anything like device can't start code1 or any other errors or anything?

If it's fine in device manager then it's working fine and theres a problem with media center. I would look at reinstalling windows7 or trying to set it up with another program that uses tuners just to makesure it's media center thats messing up.

Yeah the Device Manager says the device is working properly, no errors.

I should try it with AverMedia's media center program. Hopefully they have one for free I can test out. I don't mind re-installing Windows 7 if I have to. Just want to be sure it'll fix the problem before I take the time to do it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryerse /forum/post/18256982

Yeah the Device Manager says the device is working properly, no errors.

I should try it with AverMedia's media center program. Hopefully they have one for free I can test out. I don't mind re-installing Windows 7 if I have to. Just want to be sure it'll fix the problem before I take the time to do it.

You can feel free to keep trying suggestions from people that have never had the same problem but it just puts you one more day from not being able to return it to Newegg.

I'll throw one more tidbit your way, another piece of info from someone already down this path with the A188....

The white box products DO NOT WORK with AverTVHD Media Center. They're hard coded not to so dont expect to get that to work either. You can try the SageTV demo but it will likely do the same thing (it did for me).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts