AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scrolling through my history list last night, and among the list of show titles were two entries titled, "tuner number change." When I selected the first one, up came an info screen which said something like, "tuner number changed to one." It listed a time of something like 2:00 am. The second "tuner number change" entry occurred about two minutes later, and the info screen said, "tuner number changed to two."

Anyone have any idea what this means?

ES

·
Registered
8 Posts
If there were no storms in the area, it could mean one of the tuners is failing. When one of my tuners began to fail it registered in the "History" list repeatedly as it worked, didn't work, worked, etc. (eventually listing "Tuners changed" 20 times in one day.)

M Q

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Q
If there were no storms in the area, it could mean one of the tuners is failing. When one of my tuners began to fail it registered in the "History" list repeatedly as it worked, didn't work, worked, etc. (eventually listing "Tuners changed" 20 times in one day.)

M Q
Is this ALWAYS the case? I noticed numerous tuner changes in my history list several weeks ago with my sony and the weather was clear....but I don't see these entries any more and both tuners still work....should I still be concerned? Why else would this occur?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't say that it's always the case, just that it was the case with my Sony UTV. The tuner failed gradually. At first it would just fail for a few seconds every other day. Over a period of three or four weeks it got worse until the tuner was no longer operational.

I hope your experience is better.

M Q

·
Registered
524 Posts
I seldom see a tuner dropout unless I remove a cable... with 2 RCA's..... once long before build 27766 ..... had heavy rain which is rare here in ca also tuner stalled using .... pip which required a power reset...

·
Registered
53 Posts
One of my Tuners recently died. I went back into the History and sure enough, there's a days worth of entries with "Tuner Change".

If it's not weather related, then there is a good indication that you are getting the first signs of a failing Tuner.

If the unit does fail, and if it's under a year, you can have it serviced by RCA for roughly $80. Or do what I did, go buy a new RCA UTV for $150 at Orbitsat or somewhere else. My broken 1 tuner unit got relocated to a bedroom where there is only 1 satellite feed anyways. Oh well, now I can enjoy UTV in the bedroom, not a bad compromise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
One of my Tuners recently died. I went back into the History and sure enough, there's a days worth of entries with "Tuner Change".

If it's not weather related, then there is a good indication that you are getting the first signs of a failing Tuner.

If the unit does fail, and if it's under a year, you can have it serviced by RCA for roughly $80. Or do what I did, go buy a new RCA UTV for $150 at Orbitsat or somewhere else. My broken 1 tuner unit got relocated to a bedroom where there is only 1 satellite feed anyways. Oh well, now I can enjoy UTV in the bedroom, not a bad compromise.
Or call DTV and tell them your going to cancell service do to this failure be prepared for them to call your bluff, before you hang up they will be sending a new UTV to you I would bet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Slayer12, did that work for you? I hadn't really thought about that, oh well, it was a good way of sneaking a second UTV into the house!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Tuner changes are recorded as part of the History button at the bottom of the My Shows page. If your tuners haven't changed recently, you won't see any entries for it, just the normal History for shows you have recorded. If your tuners have changed, the entries will be mixed in with show entries.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also had a tuner die. I'm thinking of replacing my dead unit with the 70 hour unit. I think perhaps it is a heat issue, although I have it on an open shelf.

I'm interested to know which physical tuner failed for people. Could be a hardware problem. It isn't a cable issue - neither cable works in this tuner, and both work in the other one.

The tuner that failed for me is the tuner that is closest to the power cable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only way to tell which tuner has died is to switch the coax cables while on the Signal Strength screen. From there, doing a cable swap will show you which one has died.

Apparently with the 3.5 upgrade, the strongest strength tuner will ALWAYS show up as Tuner 1. So doing the swap with the power off will always result in Tuner 2 being the dead tuner which may not be accurate. You have to swap them with the power already on and while on the Signal Strength screen.

Mine probably died because of a grounding issue. I think the power bar behind all my equipment was faulty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"Apparently with the 3.5 upgrade, the strongest strength tuner will ALWAYS show up as Tuner 1."

Actually on my SONY (3.5 software) it was always tuner 1 which failed. Pulling the power plug overnight made no difference - it was always tuner 1 which failed. The working one was always tuner two.

michael

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well at least this is the case according to the UTV tech I spoke with. Maybe it's just RCA?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think tuner failures has been a common issue from day one.... disk drives on the other hand have seemed to fare well..

Overall from this forum I would say the failure rate is rather low.... ???? perhaps someone can start a poll.... :D Not that it really matters anymore just curious..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.