AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen threads on this subject but not the definitive one. Can someone point me in the direction of the correct thread that outlines the procedure to replace that Max2104 (or whatever it is) chip to fix a broken tuner?

Thanks in advance.. I'd appreciate it.

· Registered
105 Posts
If you have never replaced an IC chip yourself, you can't do it. All you can do is take your UTV and a new chip to a repair station you trust. The dead chip to be replaced is located opposit the dead sat input. #1 or #2. Remember to remove your access card.

· Registered
311 Posts
As far as I know Kazak and I are the only ones from this forum that have replaced the chip with an off the shelf soldering iron. We both had multiple attempts at soldering them in, as they don't seem to want to solder on the first attempt. It wasn't easy.

I have pictures, but I'm too computer unsavy to host and post them... (once again if someone wants to host them I will send them and they can be posted here).... some of them aren't that clear.

Getting the chip off is no easy task (Kazak came up with the method of getting his chips off.... :D )

Cut the leads with a sharp scalpel and start scratching through the surface of the chip until you get to the metal (?) core... then use the soldering iron to heat this part and the rest of the body should lift off.

Clean up all the pads and good luck. It's hard to get the chip lined up and to keep it there while getting the first pin soldered.

Use a fine point tip... I filed one to a shape I liked.

Use lots of magnification...and check for any bridging. I had a few, solder bridges, and found them after plugging the UTV back in.... then resoldering multiple times and the chip still works.

They take a lickin' :)

We both lifted pads off the board and fixed it by using ultra thin wire soldered from the IC's pin to the next component the pad went to.

If you don't get it working on your first go... keep trying. I hacked at that chip about ten times before I got it going for longer than 15 mins.

Still going today. (I think)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.