Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably stupid questions, but here goes. What

do you use for a Plasma or PJ to receive the OTA channels (non-

HDTV)? If you use a VCR, will you need 2 of them? One to record

on and one to watch while something is being recorded. I know

the satellite will be fine, but it is the local OTA's that have been

confused. Is there such a thing as a tuner only?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I currently use an RCA DTC-100 HDTV receiver and have an OTA antenna hooked up to it - that way I get both standard and 4 local HD stations. It also has an input for cable TV and DirecTV. I'm not sure if using a dedicated tuner (to the VGA port or component inputs) improves NTSC performance over a VCR connected to a S-video cable for example. A VCR would be a cheaper route to get standard channels and they might look just as good (bad, really - you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear kind of thing?) on a plasma. The dedicated tuner (see recent reviews of the Zenith unit) can give you some intelligent widescreen modes and some line doubling of the NTSC signal, so it may be worth the $700 or so more than a VCR if you are laying out $Thousands for a plasma. Good luck. PlasMAN

·
Registered
618 Posts
I use a pair of JVC SVHS VCRs. They have much better tuners than the RCA DTC-100, plus very competent comb filters. I use the S-video outputs, allowing the VCR to separate Y and C.

I can't remember the model # off the top of my head, but I believe it's (something) 9500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.