AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am just now starting to get into Home Theater as a hobby and I will say it is addicting, especially for the DIY builder. But when it is all said and done and you have all your new equiptment in your house, where do you go from here? Finding the correct locations, speaker distances, calibrations, Room gains and getting your new setup in sync is a bit confusing for some of us without the knowledge of some of the huge audiophiles in here. So I was just wondering , Now what? I see frequency graphs all over the board but have no Idea where to start looking , or downloading, or what I will need to get the best possible HT experience I can get.



So what do you guys all use once your ready to start tuning your system? I hear alot about Audessey, REW, etc But dont know exactly what it is, nor how to use it correctly.. All I have to my name ATM is a Craftsman DMM and a Radio Shack DB meter ( in a few days ) And am just wondering what the next steps are??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,417 Posts
I use my laptop, a modified RS meter with a good microphone, a nice USB sound card and REW to measure the SPL of my speakers and my in-room response.


I've posted some more details of how I measure in some other threads.


Just to warn you - measurements are a Pandora's Box - once you open it you're in trouble.....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/18125784


I use my laptop, a modified RS meter with a good microphone, a nice USB sound card and REW to measure the SPL of my speakers and my in-room response.


I've posted some more details of how I measure in some other threads.


Just to warn you - measurements are a Pandora's Box - once you open it you're in trouble.....

haha, yea man i know it.. So Just for the fact I dunno what Im exactly looking for , could you post some links if you get a chance, direct or to websites in general? Anything PE or newegg would carry?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
Room EQ Wizard is a free download, providing you sign up at the Home Theater Shack. There is a lot of valuable information there on measurement, gear and how to set up and use it.


If you have Vista, there aren't that many soundcards that work well with it, the $ 30 Behringer UCA-202 works well.


You will also need either a Radio shack SPL meter, or a microphone and phantom power supply. Most people choose the Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer and the Behringer ECM 8000 measurement mic.


To get started with a decent mic like the Behringer ECM 8000, ( calibration file available at the 'shack' ) mixer, cabling and soundcard is in the neighborhood of $ 150.


Less costly if you have a Rat Shack spl meter.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys, its a good start to get me going at least.. This is the one Im thinking about getting ( DB meter )



Im register at HTS so im gonna DL some of it now. I take it the Radio shack meter is a pretty handy little measurement guide when all this calibration starts?



Oh and I have windows 7 on my laptop, if that matters
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/18126016


Room EQ Wizard is a free download, providing you sign up at the Home Theater Shack. There is a lot of valuable information there on measurement, gear and how to set up and use it.


If you have Vista, there aren't that many soundcards that work well with it, the $ 30 Behringer UCA-202 works well.


You will also need either a Radio shack SPL meter, or a microphone and phantom power supply. Most people choose the Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer and the Behringer ECM 8000 measurement mic.


To get started with a decent mic like the Behringer ECM 8000, ( calibration file available at the 'shack' ) mixer, cabling and soundcard is in the neighborhood of $ 150.


Less costly if you have a Rat Shack spl meter.

So I can use the RS meter as my mic? Then all I need a cable from to go from the RS meter to a soundcard that plugs into my laptop then the software, correct?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,575 Posts
And if you use a Radio Shack SPL, do not forget to download the correction file for it from HTS when you get REW.


Also, one of the most cost effective ways to help your sound out is to invest in room treatments (this seems to be one of the last things folks do, if at all). You can find some online that are not too pricey but will do a good job or you can make your own out of OC703 or OC705.


James
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/18126389

And if you use a Radio Shack SPL, do not forget to download the correct file for it from HTS when you get REW.


Also, one of the most cost effective ways to help your sound out is to invest in room treatments (this seems to be one of the last things folks do, if at all). You can find some online that are not too pricey but will do a good job or you can make your own out of OC703 or OC705.


James

Im sure ill be back when I get it.. But im gonna check now to see what its all about



So what is audessey?


And is it worth buying a eq?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/18126016


Room EQ Wizard is a free download, providing you sign up at the Home Theater Shack. There is a lot of valuable information there on measurement, gear and how to set up and use it.


If you have Vista, there aren't that many soundcards that work well with it, the $ 30 Behringer UCA-202 works well.


You will also need either a Radio shack SPL meter, or a microphone and phantom power supply. Most people choose the Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer and the Behringer ECM 8000 measurement mic.


To get started with a decent mic like the Behringer ECM 8000, ( calibration file available at the 'shack' ) mixer, cabling and soundcard is in the neighborhood of $ 150.


Less costly if you have a Rat Shack spl meter.



Hmmmmm I cant find the mic at best buy, but I think I found the mixer your talking about..?? I hope it is, cuz I have $450 in gift cards for Best buy


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Behringe...=1218081119944
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top