AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm hooked into high def, Blu Ray, and my upscaled DVDs, but I realize that I still have some great titles on LaserDisc. I'll always have a soft spot for our favorite big disc format. I currently own a "fairly" functional CLD-79, and after reading about all the exotic Japanese units, the CLD-99 and CLD-97, I just don't see it as worth it to invest in another unit. Thus, I want to get the best out of what I have. The player is hooked up to a Sony KV-34XBR970 HDTV. The picture is not too bad, but it seems like there is more to be desired. Sure, I'm used to pristine HD, but that's not my complaint. I remember this same unit looking much better on analog sets I used to own. It just seems nosier than it ever has. I've ran the A Video Standard test disc through it as well as Video Essentials, but I just can't dial it in as good as I remember it looking.

Perhaps the optics need to be cleaned, realigned, etc.?

Also, the unit does have a couple of issues. First, it takes a long while for the discs to slow down when I stop the disc or for side changes. I've heard this is a spindle motor problem perhaps? Anyone have any information.

At the same point, sometimes when the disc goes to load, the optical head locks up, and the unit will eject the disc. After a few tries, everything seems to work. I also have an old CLD-D406 with the same problem.

So bottom line, what might it run to tweak this unit and get it fully functional? I also am looking to get an original remote for the unit, as the one I currently have for it does not have the buttons to adjust the noise reduction settings.

Please advise LaserDisc lovers!

AJG

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Garman /forum/post/12852715

So I'm hooked into high def, Blu Ray, and my upscaled DVDs, but I realize that I still have some great titles on LaserDisc. I'll always have a soft spot for our favorite big disc format. I currently own a "fairly" functional CLD-79, and after reading about all the exotic Japanese units, the CLD-99 and CLD-97, I just don't see it as worth it to invest in another unit. Thus, I want to get the best out of what I have. The player is hooked up to a Sony KV-34XBR970 HDTV. The picture is not too bad, but it seems like there is more to be desired. Sure, I'm used to pristine HD, but that's not my complaint. I remember this same unit looking much better on analog sets I used to own. It just seems nosier than it ever has. I've ran the A Video Standard test disc through it as well as Video Essentials, but I just can't dial it in as good as I remember it looking.

Perhaps the optics need to be cleaned, realigned, etc.?

Also, the unit does have a couple of issues. First, it takes a long while for the discs to slow down when I stop the disc or for side changes. I've heard this is a spindle motor problem perhaps? Anyone have any information.

At the same point, sometimes when the disc goes to load, the optical head locks up, and the unit will eject the disc. After a few tries, everything seems to work. I also have an old CLD-D406 with the same problem.

So bottom line, what might it run to tweak this unit and get it fully functional? I also am looking to get an original remote for the unit, as the one I currently have for it does not have the buttons to adjust the noise reduction settings.

Please advise LaserDisc lovers!

AJG

Laserdisc does look better on an analog TV than how it looks on a digital TV. The Digital TV's spend more money on the hiDef inputs verses putting money into Analog composite or Y/C which is a dying format. A high quality external scaler set to your HDTV's native format is the best solution verses buying a new player.

Send me a message to [email protected] and I can send you a short procedure I wrote to clean the spindle motor disc gripping surface so the long pause at disc stop will be fixed

For the disc start problem you need to remove the top, extend the tray and then either replace or clean the loading belt you will find just under the tray inside the player on the right side of the tray.

Kurtis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts