AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple searches and was surprised nothing "turned" up ..

Premier on Sunday April 6th, 2014 .. the Story of America's First Spy Ring

http://www.amctv.com/shows/turn

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm surprised there hasn't been more on this thread about this show. I thought the first hour was very good television. I wasn't ready for it be over. Looking forward to the next episode.

·
Registered
27,702 Posts
I agree. I didn't want to enjoy it as much as I did, dadgumit. I'm really trying to triage my TV.
But it was very well done, IMO. I'm in.

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I enjoyed the premier .. waiting to see how the next couple episodes pan out ..

Honestly, I thought it was kinda a strange concept when I first heard about the show .. but the trailer looked interesting ..

Certainly a topic that's not been done to death ..

·
Registered
27,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn  /t/1525389/turn-amc-hd-story-of-americas-first-spy-ring#post_24588070

I enjoyed the premier .. waiting to see how the next couple episodes pan out ..

Honestly, I thought it was kinda a strange concept when I first heard about the show .. but the trailer looked interesting ..

Certainly a topic that's not been done to death ..

That's all about to change. There's FOX's 'Sleepy Hollow' which features frequent flashbacks to the Rev War, and Ron Moore's 'Outlander' this summer which features a gal sent back in time to Rev War days. Methinks the market for Rev War era gear and costumes is turning bullish.

·
Premium Member
35,575 Posts
I liked it as well, it was much more engaging than I had expected. They got the main characters, and a bit of their motivations, and the story all moving along within that first episode, very well constructed in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
I liked TURN a lot too. Thought it was very smart and filled with excellent performances. Like many of the rest of you, I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Jamie Bell is a very good actor and proved to me at least that his fine performance in Billy Elliot was a portent of things to come. Besides, any guy who could convince Evan Rachel Wood to marry him has to have something going for himself.

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1525389/turn-amc-hd-story-of-americas-first-spy-ring#post_24588124

That's all about to change. There's FOX's 'Sleepy Hollow' which features frequent flashbacks to the Rev War, and Ron Moore's 'Outland' this summer which features a gal sent back in time to Rev War days. Methinks the market for Rev War era gear and costumes is turning bullish.

Arch .. I had spaced out "Sleepy Hollow" .. but during it's first season run, I was tempted to dress daily in Revolutionary War garb as Ichabod Crane did .. I mean, he seemed to get away with it with no weird looks or guys in white coats coming around .. but, in the Age of Cosplay, who knows what defines weird anymore ..
.. I'm sure Washington Irving would be proud (or not) ..

I'm looking forward to Outlander on Starz ..

·
Registered
21,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn  /t/1525389/turn-amc-hd-story-of-americas-first-spy-ring/0_100#post_24589227

I'm looking forward to Outlander on Starz ..

When I read the synopsis of Outlander, I realized that I had read the first book several years ago. I think I liked it but can't remember much more about it than the Starz site told me. Anyway, I'll give the Starz series a whirl. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts

After reading a few less than enthusiastic reviews I too had low expectations. I kept waiting for it to go off the rails but that did not happen. Thumbs up so far.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams  /t/1525389/turn-amc-hd-story-of-americas-first-spy-ring#post_24589737

After reading a few less than enthusiastic reviews I too had low expectations. I kept waiting for it to go off the rails but that did not happen. Thumbs up so far.
The one review I read was not glowing. Why I discounted was simpy, the reviewer wondered how long AMC could keep putting stuff out like this and Walking Dead and survive.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just watched episode 1 & 2... It's making it into the DVR rotation now that TWD and justified are finished.

I was hoping it'd be good enough after 2 episodes to keep me watching and it has so far. Plus, I enjoy learning more about that time period and the founding of our nation.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
As a side note a lot of the pilot was shot here in Virginia where the old sets for HBO's John Adams still were. They were falling apart so they had to do some work to get them ready, but they were still there. The other episodes were shot there as well as a couple of plantations near Williamsburg.

·
Registered
536 Posts
:rolleyes:I want to like this show, but I think it needs to take a lesson from NBC's Sleepy Hollow. There they sometime ground the story in some historical event or fact before going off into their paranormal fantasy. They hook rather nicely. Here it seems the show is written in some alt-universe, void of anything historical, but in period costume. To give this show some teeth, they need to jump off some historical event as a side and into a period spy thriller. They have not created the historical plot line strong enough to anchor on to their main period fiction spy thriller plot. Until they do, I can't take this show seriously, I know and studied that period of American history. I see too many missed opportunities for this show as a whole to be credible and believable where it should be.

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^

Well, with the series still pretty new, there is still time ..

Historical Period Drama is a tough area ..

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
Although nobody has posted to this thread in nearly a month, I hope that some of you are still watching TURN and enjoying it as much as I am. I thought this week's show was the smartest one of the series so far. I really enjoyed the appearance of Stephen Root as America's first spymaster. This show has been good stuff!

·
Premium Member
35,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1525389/turn-amc-hd-story-of-americas-first-spy-ring/0_100#post_24716219

Although nobody has posted to this thread in nearly a month, I hope that some of you are still watching TURN and enjoying it as much as I am. I thought this week's show was the smartest one of the series so far. I really enjoyed the appearance of Stephen Root as America's first spymaster. This show has been good stuff!
Definitely still watching, while I do wait at least 15 mins or so for the DVR to spool it up this has become appointment TV for me. I have no idea what the ratings have been but I hope they've been good enough to renew the show.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
That last show was confusing.

Maybe I missed some key points somewhere? They showed him getting shot over the egg message, in the beginning, then they showed him not even in the city. I didn't see any notice of time frame or anything. They haven't done this kind of editing before I don't think.

The show is ok for me. Not the best, but it's worth it to keep watching.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1525389/turn-amc-hd-story-of-americas-first-spy-ring#post_24716440

That last show was confusing.

Maybe I missed some key points somewhere? They showed him getting shot over the egg message, in the beginning, then they showed him not even in the city. I didn't see any notice of time frame or anything. They haven't done this kind of editing before I don't think.

The show is ok for me. Not the best, but it's worth it to keep watching.

That introductory scene was simply an operational concept Root was evaluating and as such, it was all in his mind and on paper. It was subsequently discarded. Re-watch the episode and you will see what I mean.

This show is an interesting concept for you lot, I reckon.

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm trying to get some DVR stacked shows watched and done, but should be back to "Turn" soon ..

1 - 20 of 168 Posts