AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have monopole speakers and want to see what dipole sounds like then try this. Get your self some Lexan (plexiglass that bends) and cut out a two pieces that are the same hieght as your surrounds. Make sure you leave a 1" wide tab at the top that is the length you will need to wrap it around the top of the speaker. This is so you can attatch it to the speaker. Put a 7 degree bend in the middle of the Lexan, lengthwise. Attatch it and you have dipole speakers. It does work, and if you want to just try it out, then fold a piece of card board and tape it to the speakers. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
All I can say is, "huh?"

Bill

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If you want to try out dipoles, get a pair of monopoles. Put both speakers on the right side wall. Face one speaker towards the right main- and wire that up in-phase. Place the other speaker on the right side- back to back, facing at the back wall and wire out of phase. Don't crank it that high.

+/- designate in-phase

-/+ designate out of phase

Front of room . In phase. Out of phase

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you put this thing together, instead of the sound projecting right at you, the sound is dispersed out to the sides.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tuskenraider
That doesn't change the phasing of the speaker to work like di-poles though..........
Why not? As long as you wire the rear facing out of phase- it should be.

btw I use proper dipoles as sides :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure it changes the phazing. The whole idea is that if you already own monopole and you want to see if you like dipole then you don't have to waste any money and you don't have to use two speakers set back to back. This way you get the full range of sound, and you know that they will be timbre matched.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Oh OK. Thought you were talking about my method. You could say you had your wires crossed! :-D

I can't quite understand the OP's explanation of the bit of plastic.. perhaps if the OP draws a picture?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually the plastic can be attatched by any means you think are best. If you like the way dipole sounds and you don't want to spend the extra bucks, the fabricate the pieces and epoxy them to the front of the grill, this method should eliminate vibrations. As for making the pieces, you will want to cut out the plastic the same hieght and width as your surronds. Then determine the center of the plastic and put a 7 degree bend going length wise. Picture a slightly cracked door. This is nothing more than a practicle fix for someone who doesn't want to fork over the dough.

P.S. Why didn't I think of bubble wrap!?

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
That might create a bipolar speaker, not a dipole. Very different things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.