AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have my system wired with RCA outs from the TV into my pre-amp (it's not a home theater pre-amp...no HDMI). I also had (have) an Apple TV wired optically into a DAC. The upside to this was that I could listen to music without turning on the TV, using the iPhone Remote app. The downside was we always had to switch inputs back and forth on the pre-amp from the Apple TV to the regular TV and vice versa. This drove my girlfriend nuts. I have a Harmony One remote, but the pre-amp has no discreet code to switch inputs...it's only "input next", so that's not an option.

It dawned on me one day that I could better utilize the DAC's power by running a single optical cable from the TV to the DAC, and simultaneously kill the need to switch inputs on the pre-amp.

The good news is TV and movies sound great. The bad news is I have to turn the TV on to listen to music, as the Apple TV now runs solely through the TV via HDMI.

Anyone know a way to turn off the screen only without killing the audio pass through? (LN46B750) A discreet IR code? A service menu option? Sleep mode for the screen only?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Excuse for a new, honest-to-God Preamp.

Look, sum1 posted here, going through the TV induces a 10ms delay which HE CAN HEAR! so maybe a new Preamp is the ticket eh...

And u don't necessarily need HDMI switch on the AMP if the display already provides multiple HDMI ports.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If your TV has a variable analog audio output from RCA jacks, you could connected them to the "BYPASS" input. That would allow one-touch switching and would be the most fool-proof.

Failing that, then you'll just have to train her up. Make a sign with indications of which input does what. "Press this remote-button until that light is on".

If that is too complex, have her walk to the preamp and push the button with her finger. You could make it more self-explanatory by printing, and affixing to the preamp, a couple of labels to indicate which input is "TV" and which is "Music", with arrows pointing to their respective buttons.

Or...create and print a graphic similar to what I have attached below and place one where it is easily seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts