AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a custom built mini htpc. I would like to know if I can turn on the computer using my logitech harmony remote?

i dont need all of the functions, just to turn the computer on?

is there an way to it? and how much would it be ? would it be cheap?

the board is intel mini-itx board and the processor is i3.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I turn mine on and off with a Harmony One, but it isn't that motherboard. You'll need the IR receiver, I've found it's easiest to just buy the cheapest MC remote I can find and use the receiver, and it's handy to have the MC remote in case you have to program anything.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Are you talking about turning it on from being totally cold off, or waking it up from S3 sleep state? I use my Harmony One to wake up my computer from S3, in conjunction with a usb Microsoft MCE IR receiver. I'm not sure if there is a remote control way to wake it up from a cold power-off state.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can if you buy any one of the cheap Imon dock/remote combos. The internal dock connects to the PS and Motherboard, and you can program the Imon software to use the Harmony instead of the Imon remote. That way you can turn the computer on/off with your remote. The cheapest Imon IR dock is like 20 dollars.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar /forum/post/19584682

Are you talking about turning it on from being totally cold off, or waking it up from S3 sleep state? I use my Harmony One to wake up my computer from S3, in conjunction with a usb Microsoft MCE IR receiver. I'm not sure if there is a remote control way to wake it up from a cold power-off state.

S3, but that's good enough for me. Good point, though. I forget sometimes that it's not really completely off.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM S2H and have set the BIOS to S3 wake and have enabled wake from USB. It works when I have my USB keyboard connected and press any key. When I try it with my IR remote, which is also connected to a rear USB, it will not power back on. It seems the IR receiver loses power when my HTPC goes to S3 sleep. Does anyone know how to fix this. Also I know my PS is up to the task as it is a Antec 430 W 80+ with 2.5 A on the 5VSB. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaneva /forum/post/19590409

You mean to sleep/wake. That remote won't turn your computer on/off. You need an IR that connects to the power supply in order to do that.

What you mean by "on/off" should really be "power-on" and "power-off". They used to be the same 20 years ago. These days, before you "turn on" your TV/Blu-ray/TiVo/Hi-Fi, they are already in a standby state.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also I would recommend getting a standard windows media receiver instead of anything from a different brand (get HP/dell or microsoft). You can get just the HP receiver on ebay for like $10. Its better to do this because it will have better compatibility in other programs in case you ever need it (you would just have to tell the program you are using a media center remote-they are pretty popular vs other brands). Also the reception on the hp receiver is really good.

But if you need completely on/off then get the imon. Honestly S3 sleep is really convenient and the only thing on is the ram which uses like 3W of power.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade01  /t/1295040/turn-on-htpc-using-logitech-harmony#post_22728658

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anybody have any success with this? I also would like on/off (not resume from sleep like pixelation mentioned)

I handled this on my mini-itx build by using an iMon receiver for a 3.5" drive bay ( http://www.soundgraph.com/inside-feature-en/ ). I removed the 3.5" bezel and installed it inside the mini-itx case where the reset button was supposed to be ( http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1414&ID=1894 ) Fortunately, there was enough room to mount the RF receiver board (after gently bending the RF diode) between the case and the front bezel. I can now turn my HTPC on from S3 or from cold. the iMon software is pretty good. Lots of customizations available. I use a harmony 620 remote.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts