AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a new home built. My question is how to turn on the projector from a remote location. Is it through a z-wave outlet or is it through the network port on the back of some of the PJ's? Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentkhack  /t/1524117/turn-on-projector#post_24524102


We are having a new home built. My question is how to turn on the projector from a remote location. Is it through a z-wave outlet or is it through the network port on the back of some of the PJ's? Thank you.

Absolutely NOT through an outlet / wall switch. You don't want the projector's power shut off accidentally or before its cool-down cycle has been completed. Many projectors have RS232 or Ethernet interfaces for operating it from a control system. Even an RF remote can be used with an IR emitter attached (or using an IR input) to the unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1524117/turn-on-projector#post_24524367


Absolutely NOT through an outlet / wall switch. You don't want the projector's power shut off accidentally or before its cool-down cycle has been completed. Many projectors have RS232 or Ethernet interfaces for operating it from a control system. Even an RF remote can be used with an IR emitter attached (or using an IR input) to the unit.

So basically make sure I have a PJ with the RS232 to turn on/off from let's say my phone. Just to confirm all PJ when turned off from the remote will allow it to cool down before it turns off right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentkhack  /t/1524117/turn-on-projector#post_24524442


So basically make sure I have a PJ with the RS232 to turn on/off from let's say my phone.

Correct, but you also need something to connect to the RS232 port (placed at the projector, or through a cable at another point), and then the application to drive that. I do this with a Global Cache GC-100 / iTach device and the iRule app.
Quote:
Just to confirm all PJ when turned off from the remote will allow it to cool down before it turns off right?

Yes, anything done by the PJ's controls (on board or remote) is fine. It's "pulling the power cord" that is bad and should be avoided whenever possible.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top