AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently made a new HTPC. I'm planning to only use my Harmony Remote to control it.

If I attach a keyboard I can start the PC up by pressing a key on the keyboard, but I can't do the same from the remote.

Is there any way I can start the Pc from the remote ?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokkaNET /forum/post/16946044

Hi

I recently made a new HTPC. I'm planning to only use my Harmony Remote to control it.

If I attach a keyboard I can start the PC up by pressing a key on the keyboard, but I can't do the same from the remote.

Is there any way I can start the Pc from the remote ?

You're gonna have to be a little more specific here. I'm guessing you mean wake up the PC from hibernation or sleep?

If you have a IR receiver that's designed to accept MC remote commands, you should be able to put the PC in standby.

If you actually want to turn it off, it gets a little more tricky. You could use an Imon IR receiver that has the capability of turning a PC on/off, it requires special power connection and USB headers.

Mike

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/16947941

If you have a IR receiver that's designed to accept MC remote commands, you should be able to put the PC in standby.

Mike

Yes, use the remote to put the PC in and out of standby mode using the receiver you have.

If you want full power-on then you could also use one of these;

http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html

It will emulate the power button on the case.

Peter

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Nobody should completely power off their HTPC (or any PC for what matter) regularly.

I actually measured the power mine consumes. APCI mode 5 (completely off) versus APCI mode 3 (deep sleep), and it consumes the same amount of power! (Your mileage may vary).

So why power it off completely (not really unless u pull the cord) unless u really enjoy watching the flashing lights as it boots up, and 10 seconds wakeup time is TOO FAST and doesn't give u time to get coffee.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16948597

Nobody should completely power off their HTPC (or any PC for what matter) regularly.

I actually measured the power mine consumes. APCI mode 5 (completely off) versus APCI mode 3 (deep sleep), and it consumes the same amount of power! (Your mileage may vary).

So why power it off completely (not really unless u pull the cord) unless u really enjoy watching the flashing lights as it boots up, and 10 seconds wakeup time is TOO FAST and doesn't give u time to get coffee.

I like to shut mine off because even in this day and age, sleep can be a troublesome thing... especially with HTPC's and HDMI. I have fairly low power components so usually just leave it on 24/7, but with my Antec M Fusion Remote case, I can turn it on from a completely off state using my Harmony (mainly because it has an iMon receiver/display as mentioned above).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This program;

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

truely is a slick solution. My Gyration keyboard/mouse would wake my computer even after turning off the USB wake option in BIOS and playing with settings in Vista. Using S4 or hibernate was almost as slow as booting so it wasn't a good solution. This program fixed it good. Only the power button or the Imon will wake it now (I only use the Imon for this power-on).

It allows you to select which device will wake on a device by device basis. It looks like I could set it to allow the keyboard to wake but not the mouse even though they share the same receiver.

Peter

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have kind of a different problem. I posted this over at the Harmony 880 forum, but didn't get an answer there. If I program my Harmony 880 as a Media Center PC, anytime I use that function it also turns on my XBox 360. The only way around this was to program my Harmony as a regular computer, but then this doesn't give me the option of controling my volume via my receiver.

Any help here?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You can go to the button adjustment page for individual Devices and Activities and set any remote button to have any function you want. I'm not at my Harmony software but I know this can be done for the Activities and I'm fairly certain it can be done for the Devices. You're going to have to provide more detail on what the problem is because I don't understand where you're having the issue of not being able to set the volume buttons to control the receiver. Try a PM and I could maybe give some further advice. I've found the Harmony automatic setup leaves a lot to be desired at times but doing some manual work can really get good results.

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.