AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai  /t/1522728/turn-your-mp3s-into-vinyl#post_24487801

Have fun with this.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/turn-mp3s-vinyl-records-184908450.html?vp=1

Pretty ironic - stacking up a format that is thought to diminish sound quality (MP3) on top of a format that surely does (Vinyl) in the apparent search for better sound quality.

This makes no sense until we reference the fact that sonic preference is largely based on familiarity. IOW if its what you are used to, you probably prefer what it sound like.

·
Registered
24 Posts

This one gets the BB "Worst idea in decades!" stamp of idiocy.

There was so much bad theory and confusion in that little video I have no idea where to start - so I best not.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
What? You don't think cutting an analog record from an MP3 will round out the little "stair stepped" waveforms? Where have you been?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Adopting MP3 was not because of sound quality. Adopting LPs is not about sound quality.

Don't you guys hang out with younger crowd?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1522728/turn-your-mp3s-into-vinyl#post_24493500

Adopting MP3 was not because of sound quality. Adopting LPs is not about sound quality.

Well yes but some are required to keep a minimum distance from schoolyards and other places children congregate.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai  /t/1522728/turn-your-mp3s-into-vinyl#post_24493537

Well yes but some are required to keep a minimum distance from schoolyards and other places children congregate.
Present company excluded I hope!

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Acquitted!

·
Registered
6,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1522728/turn-your-mp3s-into-vinyl/0_60#post_24493500

Adopting MP3 was not because of sound quality.

Convenience of acquisition, no physical media to store, etc., (with little to no sound degradation, if done right). We all know these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1522728/turn-your-mp3s-into-vinyl/0_60#post_24493500

Adopting LPs is not about sound quality.

The retro & novelty aspects, the more visually and tactile engaging experience, etc. But sound quality is an important aspect for some. They've been exposed to enough, "analog is smooth, digital is stair-step harsh" silliness** from record shop employees, friends/acquaintances, online sources, etc., that seeking out vinyl for superior sound quality is an important motivation for some.

** "loudness wars" digital issues aside, which continues to be a legitimate problem with many releases
Quote:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Ya know, way back when vinyl was THE medium, a huge part of the deal was mastering of the album. While most digital music is not actually mastered with significant dynamic range, vinyl really cannot handle more than (what?) 60 dB of dynamic range. I suspect that if I tried to vinylize my CD of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata would result in either sound well into the noise floor or distortion on the vinyl (or unknown, possibly uncontrollable dynamic range compression).

Now of course all vinyl as to some extent about the sound, because the same record will sound different through any given system if you even change the cartridge on the turntable, let alone changing between turntables with different levels of rumble or wow and flutter.

Of course if you cut the vinyl in your own little room, it will be (sort of) like an original master disc, which is (or was) generally thought to be the best possible version, and would only degrade when you create the discs that will press commercial discs, and some say the resulting pressed discs degrade as you make more (clearly the plates wear out eventually).

It's sure to sound different. Last time I listened to music of my own on a turntable was when I had it set up in my garage to sell. It sounded good. Definitely different. A very medium end system so probably plenty of FR anomalies from the cartridge and maybe I was forced to "listen through" wow and flutter that didn't strike me consciously, which could make a difference. The truth of the matter is that, at least to me, sometimes simply different seems "better," at least at first. I've tried to self educate against my personal preference for recessed presence region response (mmmm, smooth, but are the trumpet players playing in their sleep?) but the bias, wherever it comes from, remains . . .

·
Registered
24 Posts

I was talking to some people the other day who were purchasing vinyl. They did not own turntables, but took the discs home, framed them and put them on the wall.

...you know, they have music on them too. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts