AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a large piece of Draper M2500 material to test against my High Power and Benq 8700. I stretch mounted it with tape on a wall, and really liked the color and blacks and overall eveness of the image. However, the "tire track" streaks that many see were sporatically here and there across the screen making it unusable to my taste.

Well, the taped screen fell off the wall during the night, so the next day, I taped it up again, but unknowingly inside out. I cranked up the projector and couldn't believe the image. It was clear as a bell, no streaks; somewhat brighter and just plain WOW. I went up to the screen and realized it was reversed. The reverse side has a nice sheen to it. I do get a very, very minor hot spot towards the center, but really only noticeable on all white scenes. I compared it to the High Power and was blown away by the M2500's ability to hold contrast and blacks without any color shifting. It is a perfect match for the Benq in my eyes. I family tested it and got nothing but wows, and statements like "Dad this looks better than your other projector (NEC CRT) ever did."

So this be a lesson to ya. ( Now I can imagine all of you Parkland people turning your screens around to the backside to try that as well.:D )

Bob

I'll try to post pics this weekend, compared to the High Power.

Edit: P.S. I'm seriously thinking about getting a 133" diagonal cineperm screen and simply using the reserve side as an alternative to building my own.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Bob, I have to ask the obvious question (no offence): are you sure you didn't have the wrong side out first? I wonder why the backside would be higher gain than the display side; you would think it would just be plain matte white.

It would be great if there was a good angular reflective, high gain screen option for those unable to deal with High Power's viewing cone. There's not been a lot of talk about the Draper in recent years; I suspect your posts on the M2500 will be very popular around here!

·
Registered
77 Posts
threed123,

I have a m1300 Draper Premier. I also have a center streak that shows when you look at it straight on. Meaning, if you move your seat, the streak moves too! You only see it on very light scenes.

Is that what you are describing as a hot spot?

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin,

Yes, I'm sure I had the right side out. It has a slightly wavy embossed pattern in it as Draper indicates is the projected side. The other side has a sheen as if it were sand blasted--that's not right, but I'm having trouble trying to explain it. It's evenly covered with micro-dimples.

timkeller, the streaks are obvious and vertical and are more like hairlines that are darker than the surrounding surface as if it were scratched. When you get close to the screen, it appears that the screen has a sheen except for these vertical lines which look very much like brush marks. That makes me think it's a rolled coating of sometype that doesn't dry properly, or the roller jams up with coating that slightly dries while it's going on--who knows. The other side is not coated, but has a plastic sheen. It appears to have close characteristics with the front side, but with a hair more hot spotting.

I know this sounds crazy, but I've watched it for a week now, and I switch back and forth between it and the High Power, and I always come back to the M2500. I've tried a Carada 1.4 Brilliant White sample next to it and the Carada is about half brightness and dull looking, BUT, the Carada surface is very, very close to the back side of the M2500. Has the same sheen and micro-dimpled look to it.

To me, it's an excellent ceiling mount, angular reflective alternative to the High Power, which is retro-reflective. I actually like the M2500 for color a little bit better as the High Power has a slight yellow/green shift on white scenes. The M2500 seems to have a better daylight color temperature look to it. I see this when I project half M2500 and half High Power. I'm going to try to get pics this weekend of both. I think you all will be surprised as I am. And who knows, it just might be the environment, projector, screen, ambient lighting arrangement that makes this look good to me, and not the screen by itself. I think it works because the screen is 100" wide. If it were smaller, it might be too hot for most taste. It's definitely a bigger is better screen for light reflection.

Bob

I'll say this, I'm extremely picky, but it's a tradeoff I can easily live with (tradeoff meaning the slight hot center).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.