AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned on my G70 after a major repair and got a new errror message 35." explitive deleted". its an H Board error.

It doesn't make sense based on my experience with everything working prior to the short.

But I can't debate with a number.

So Okay, lets say someone volunteers to send me their H board for compensation. Or I get Curt to repair it. But however I get a new H board. Is there an end to this or does it boot and now report the V board and I send that in and it reports the C board?

Obviously I threw the dice with this projector and there was a chance of losing. But not being a rich guy right now especially after buying this, I need to know what I am potentially looking at to get this running.

Is there anything I might not have plugged in to get this error? I am not sure the H board was well seated at first but now I am. If I win the fight with Fed Ex this should be no problem. But if I have to keep sending out a hundred twenty dollars every two weeks for the next six weeks I have a major problem. I shouldn't say major problem. I've got new tubes. But this development suggests to me it will be months of trial and error before I have a working G70. I still have my VPH1271 to play with. If I could get a bid on the likelyhood of what it would take to get this working I might risk selling my 1271 to pay for the repair. I believe I have interested buyers at 470 dollars.
History: Prior to the board shorting a month ago I was getting a fan error code. Then it gave an error saying there was an undue load on the PA board. This is my first encounter with an H Board error.

(This thread is duplicated in the Curt Palme CRT forum.)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E board eh? Fascinating. That gives me some minor hope.

Let me look into that. It makes more sense. The "H" board was given gentle handling and was working prior to the short. Thank you Cinema Mad.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow /forum/post/16968319

E board eh? Fascinating. That gives me some minor hope.

Let me look into that. It makes more sense. The "H" board was given gentle handling and was working prior to the short. Thank you Cinema Mad.

I tell you mate its such A shame you ran this G70 before totaly removing all traces of optical Glycol it would of been working perfictly now..

Please be Aware that the E board complete and PA boards are Adjusted as A pair, Just swaping out the E board may distroy it as well, To perform the PA and E board adjustment you need A special Link ,Also mentioned in the G70 Service manual..

I would swap out Both the E and PA Boards with A (working) complete set from A nother G70 to try and avoid this issue.. Or better still Have Curt P Check/Repair the E board...

Cheers Mate...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What little glycol I found I hadn't cleaned wouldn't have been visible without totally disassembling it anyway. There was only a micro thin layer of something resembling glycol in the dust under the plastic tube that carries the red HV cable. Obviously I wish I had never asked the guy to show me the tubes before purchasing it. But if I hadn't I never would have known they were brand new tubes. He was selling it as a projector with 3000 hours. Catch 22.

I have been looking at Moe's site and Curt's site and I can't figure out which board is the "E" board.

I have an extra PA board. Should I put that in or would that destroy the PA board because of a bad E board? (Or just be incompatible because its from a different projector.)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi mate yes the only way you can remove all traces of the Glycol is to Disasemble the hole G70 ..

The E board is the large upright board inbetween the Green and Blue Tubes...

You can get the G70 Service manual in PDF form from Curt P site I think..

Try and replace both the E and PA boards from one G70 dont mix and match if you can avoid it..

Cheers...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/16968443

Hi mate yes the only way you can remove all traces of the Glycol is to Disasemble the hole G70 ..

The E board is the large upright board inbetween the Green and Blue Tubes...

You can get the G70 Service manual in PDF form from Curt P site I think..

Try and replace both the E and PA boards from one G70 dont mix and match if you can avoid it..

Cheers...

Thank you for the quick response. Its nice to meet new very helpful people with some experience with this projector.

I think I get it now. I was under the impression that was the "H" Board. The H board was also described as the large upright board between the green and blue tubes. I guess that is the Horizontal deflection board and has the letter E on it (guessing). I wonder what I could have done to it. It was working before the short. Maybe the short did it. Maybe it caused the short. Hoping it can be fixed rather than replaced. The Niktek PA board I saw on Ebay looks expensive enough without buying an E board. And it sounds like buying one without the other is a waste. Pity I always do these jobs on the weekend when everyone is closed.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It is the Horizontal deflection Board (The main components on that board are made by Sanyo )

Yes I would say that it was most definatly the short that did it unfortunatly...

You can just replace the defective(E) board and make the appropriate adjustments(provided you have the special Extention Link)..

But what I ment was if you had access to A G70 chassie you could replace both the E/PA boards with the spare G70 Chassie PA/E boards so they will be A matched set..

Cheers...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other chassis did not have an extra E board. Its fairly unlikely I am going to find a matched set unless lightning strikes twice. I'll contact Curt on Monday about fixing mine.

I also have a letter out to a local guy I found on Curt's website who does repairs. But he specializes in NEC projectors.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
The PA board on Sony projectors is specifically calibrated to each set as to high voltage and shutdown circuits. While you can swap another one in, and it might work, chances are it won't work right, and worst case can damage tubes.

When you're dealing with something like spilled glycol (that's what happened originally, right?), you can indeed have multiple problems that will end up being more expensive than getting another set that works correctly. Then again, an E board failure could be a coindicence, and might not be related to the PA board problems at all.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow /forum/post/16968899

The other chassis did not have an extra E board. Its fairly unlikely I am going to find a matched set unless lightning strikes twice. .

Which PA board are you using, the one the chassis came with or your old one?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curt. I think you have probably seen my pictures from the other thread and know my situation. This is an open invitation to go ahead and suggest the best course of action by PM and quote me if you can. I'm not feeling rich right now but I could gamble on selling the VPH1271 if it means getting the G70 running. I owe you some business even if I am nervous about the cost. My roommate is away for two weeks anyway so not having a projector here ... well this is good timing.

And I truly apologize for being nervous about the cost. I thought I had a big job this week and it may have fallen through. There was a time when I wouldn't have broken a sweat at spending three hundred or even five hundred for a job like this but for the last few years every hundred bucks seems to count.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Hey I hear you. Sales were booming in June, fell flat on their face in July.. and ended up with a $7K house renovation bill this month. One tiny leak in my deck turned into rotted 2X6, an ant nest in the wood, rot, bleh!

Here's what I suggest: Send me your H board and PA board for testing. I've got a bunch of Sony repairs to do in the next 2 weeks, and just cover me for $40 and the cost of return shipping if you don't want to go ahead with the repair. A couple of the parts on the H board are $80 each (yikes!), but if nothing else, I can test the boards and confirm that they are either good or bad.

Email me, [email protected]

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow /forum/post/16972324

I am using my old one. Do you think I should use yours? Can I call you? I won't take much of your time. Its just I trust your advice and have maybe one or two questions.

sure you can call me, it's late now but tomorrow is fine. I am really leary of offering advice though on a G70. If worse comes to worse, I don't want to be responsible for those tubes. Still, I think using the PA that came with the chassis is the right way to go. However, when there's a PA board mismatch the error code is usually 21.

Your best bet is Curt, he really knows those dam things better than anyone.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/16972763

Hey I hear you. Sales were booming in June, fell flat on their face in July.. and ended up with a $7K house renovation bill this month. One tiny leak in my deck turned into rotted 2X6, an ant nest in the wood, rot, bleh!

Here's what I suggest: Send me your H board and PA board for testing. I've got a bunch of Sony repairs to do in the next 2 weeks, and just cover me for $40 and the cost of return shipping if you don't want to go ahead with the repair. A couple of the parts on the H board are $80 each (yikes!), but if nothing else, I can test the boards and confirm that they are either good or bad.

Email me, [email protected]

Cheers!

Thanks. That sounds very doable. Even the parts on the "H" board...as long as its only "the two" and maybe a cheaper one sounds very worth it. Its better than owning a 170 pound brick.

I'll be in touch. Probably tomorrow. In fact I'll properly pack and rush those out to you tomorrow since I know you work in batches by company. Hopefully I'll get in during the Sony round. I am trying to look at this as a long term project now. I feel at peace with the whole thing especially if I get some of my Fed Ex money back.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow /forum/post/16973162

I feel at peace with the whole thing especially if I get some of my Fed Ex money back.

give the Curt thing a try but if that doesn't work part that sucker out. G70 tubes are always easy to sell and the other working boards will put you way ahead of what you spent so far. then you will really be at peace

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/16974638

give the Curt thing a try but if that doesn't work part that sucker out. G70 tubes are always easy to sell and the other working boards will put you way ahead of what you spent so far. then you will really be at peace

yeah then Get a Marquee 8500LC, or 9500LC they are both for sale on the bay or better yet spend the extra cash and get a known working one from Curt !

Athanasios

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You Marquee people are absolutely relentless. Is there no limit to the depths into the abyss in which you will drag my hopes. The deft fingers of the mighty Palme will mock you. So far I am only out twenty five dollars in UPS shipping and 25 dollars in packing fees, and 16 dollars in Glycol including shipping. Fed Ex still hasn't billed me for the late delivery. Yet there is nothing that will leave you vultures more cackling with glee than a canibalized G70. I guess you would really enjoy my theater room floor then. I have two carcasses for you to chew on.

My G70 is beautiful. Its black and it has elegant lines for a CRT. And the pieces snap on and off in a way that suggests sophisticated design, quality and the ultimate in repair experiences. If you are going to work on a broken projector, you definitely want a G70.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.