Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking of turning half of my double garage into a home cinema, would be doing this as it would be an ideal size and would get the cinema out the house, as the garage also has no windows lighting control for my projector would be excellent also.

The garage itself is constructed of a single layer of bricks, with a beamed flat felted roof. The plan was to batton the walls and use plasterboard straight onto it, then simply paint it out. The same would apply to the cieling in the garage. The cavity between the plasterboard and brick wall would also be filled with insulating foam to keep the heat in during winter. Wiring for lighting and speakers would also be housed in the cavity.

My main concern is damp. The garage obviously has no damp course built into it as its a very basic construction, would this be a problem for my equipment if the walls were insulated out?

I am really looking for tips and comments as i am sure this has been done many times before, if all goes well i think this should be excellent! Always dreamed of having a dedicated home theatre room!

Thanks,

Jeremy:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am also working on a similar project, though only on a One car garage. With regards to the floor, you might want to lay a damp proof plastic on the floor and then use tanalised timbers for the floor struts. This method should address most of your worries with respect to damp. A good source of info on Garage conversions might be the DIY section avforums.co.uk where quite a few members have undertaken a similar project.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any further questions

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have been reading a lot about it since this was posted and have a much greater understanding of how this is going to turn out.

The only thing which i am unsure what to do with is the garage door, planning regulations prevent me from removing it and bricking it up (live on an estate where the houses are not allowed to change their frontal appearance)

Half of me says i should just lock it and then plasterboard straight over it on the inside, ignoring it completely, and half of me tells me to shorten the internal room and leave a little space at the front of the garage internally so that the door can still open and have some purpose, this would shortne my room though and mean i get less throw distance for the projector. I will have to calculate how far the projector is going to need to cover the entire end wall of (whole width) i spose. This will influence my desision. :)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
JEZ,man that's a tough call!!!i feel for you...my brother-in-law lives in the same type of community where you can't change stuff at will..i was going to build him a brick mailbox,and some other things,but he said i couldn't...i'm a union bricklayer by trade...

i have to say i would go for the maximum space...lock the door permanently,and go across it with some studs and drywall..VERY EASY to tear down if you had to in the future for some reason.

brickie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking i probably will go that route, although if the throw distance is not needed then there is no reason why i couldnt leave a small gap at the front and keep the door operational. Could stash things like the lawnmower round the corner then infront of the door, and still fit a car in the other side.

Ideally i would like the bigger room though, and junk like lawnmowers can rot in the shed for all i care! :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well what I am doing is nailing the Garage down and then plasterboarding it, whilst adding lots of insulation to prevent sound leakage. I then partioned the rear part of the garage to provide room for an equipment closet and the rest of the partitioned space is used as the utility room for the washing machine. The overall theater dimensions are not brilliant, however that solution leaves the wife with her utility room and me a closet for the equipement. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Just a thought on the garage door issue -- if you leave it functional, that will limit some headroom as well as you'll have to leave a space between the existing ceiling and the new ceiling for the door to raise up into.

I think this has been done a number of times by forum members. Texas Aggie (Gregg) for one, I know closed in a garage for his theater.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was just reading your post on turning your garage into a cinema & thought I would let you know what I did. I turned my single garage into cinema & with good results. We had a sectional automatic roller at the front that when opened came along way back into the garage( well pretty much the length of the door, you know the type) . It came back on 2 tracks that were attached to the sides of the walls of the garage. When deciding on the construction of the front wall, these tracks were quickly removed because there was going to be far too much stuffing around trying to seal everything with these tracks protruding from the Gyprock (drywall for the rest of you). So anyway, I locked the door in place,& put some extra brackets above the door in case the others let go or slipped out because the door was still under spring tension. The door is functional to a point, but has all the track & motor removed & stored in the ceiling.

Next was the wall. I built it about a 1ft (30cm) inside the roller door only to give room for the plumbing that came down at the front of the garage. It also gave me a little room to get in behind it while drilling & screwing the wall together. I used a metal frame that you just cut & screw together. Bloody easy & cheaper than timber. I lined the garage door with R3.0 insulation bats , getting into all the cracks & crevices around the door, the lined the metal wall frame with acoustic sound insulation batts, which fit between the studs. I then applied 2 layers of 16mm Fire rated Gyprock. This stuff is bloody heavy, but geez it works well. When it was finished, I couldn't hear my mate outside banging on the roller door. Good enough, I thought.

I have put carpet on the floor with a cotton based underlay, it very thick & dense, good for sucking in some sound. As the garage was only a single width, I made a raised area at the back for the lounge to be raised above the front seats. This way you can see over them in front. I have pictures somewhere in the photo gallery I think, I'll have to go fine them. I also built my screen. It's a 100in 4:3 screen made with an aluminum frame & curtain blockout.

If I can be of any help, just let me know. Good luck with the project.

cheers

dino

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions:)

If you could find those pictures that would be superb mate! Ive seen a few projects so far but havent seen any who have left the door in place.

To be honest i only wish that i didnt need to get a car in the bloody garage, then i could make the cinema stretch along the back wall of the width of the garage (its square) and leave both the doors with a real use!

This weeks project is going to be to clear the place out i think, as right now its packed with rubbish that i need to take to the refuse place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just finished turning my car and half garage into 3 rooms. I left about 4 feet for lawn mower and other storage and built a lower ceiling so the garage door can still go up. I insulated that wall and put a door for access. then after getting rid of the pool table I decided to make my home theater. Unfortunately I have a beam going across the middle of the room so I used it as the divider and now have another storage room with a hidden door for access. My home theater part is 15 ft long by 9.5 ft wide.

If you still need to park in side of the garage you need to decide which side you are going to use. You probably don't want to have to walk through the theater just to get to your car so most like you will be using the side farthest from the entry into the house. Also check your floor to see if it slants. for drainage. I had to add some comcrete and leveling compound.

I have a few pics here.
groups.msn.com/GiboneyTheater/shoebox.msnw

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks brilliant mate, i would indeed be using the farther side from the side door into the garage, so would be walking through the "car" side to get to the cinema. The garage door i have decided i am going to lock and plasterboard over, as the runners for it are below head height and go about quarter of the way down the garage like this, it would make the rear of the cinema so low that people wouldnt be able to stand :( I would like the additional space also which filling the whole side of the garage would give me. The idea of a small storage room is also very good and i think it would be good to have an equipment room for the amp and hcpc etc, this could be behind the screen maybe, or at the rear behind the seating.

Good to see pictures also :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
You might not be able to tell from my pictures but I built my equipment rack into the wall with access from the back side. What you could do is take 3 ft in the back of the theater and build a built in rack and have your projector behind glass. When you open the door to your theater. Have a curtain in front going to the back of your equipment then the one on the left going to the theater. Or vice versa depending on which side your garage is.

Keeping all the equipment lights away from the viewing area is a bonus.

I also made a small trough along the wall before pouring concrete for wiring of front speakers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Superb to hear all these suggestions! I didnt think of putting the projector behind glass but that would be a truely superb idea as the fan noise is obviously a bit of a distraction at the moment with it being above my head in my current setup. The HCPC also makes about the same noise as the projector itself as its an amd duron based setup which sadly needs reasonable active cooling on it.

I am getting excited about making this now! This should be superb with the equipment in another space behind the seating. May not be on par with a lot of setups in terms of equipment levels but my in my opinion it will still be a very enjoyable place to watch films :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I USED to have pics on this site that showwed before and after....not sure but are they coming back?

My garage was 22 by24' and I used about 80% of it. My equipment room is 6x5' in the rear of the HT.

I got lucky because it was already sheetrocked and it's own ac was installed. I did have to enclose the garage itself and build and another wall opposite of it.

The best thing about garage ht's is that I can watch it at reference levels while the kids sleep:)

Greg

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeh, I had pics on here too I think, not sure if they will return. Does anyone know where you can post pics on the internet now that this one is shut??Then I can add a link in this forum for my garage cinema.

cheers

dino

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Just sent my pics there.....enjoy

Greg
it should have produced the URL's to the piccies when you uploaded them m8? i cant view them without the URL's it generates you see:( :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.