AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,


I have a Philips MANT940 antenna mounted on a mast approx. 20' high. I have an amplified splitter. My question is would there be any logical reason for much improved reception when I turn a light on. The light is in the closet where I have placed the splitter. I have tested this several times. Light on, reception good, light off worse or no reception (on multiple TV's).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
the light switch also turns on the outlet the splitter is powered from.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,681 Posts
Is the splitter plugged into an outlet controlled by the switch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts
You're running an amplified antenna into an amplified splitter?


Try eliminating that amplified splitter by replacing it with a passive splitter.


edit:
Quote:
the light switch also turns on the outlet the splitter is powered from.

Well, duh! When the light is off, so is the amplified splitter which disconnects the signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses


Answers


The splitter is not even plugged in for these tests, however I am curious why ProjectSHO89 would suggest using passive splitter. The splitter was plugged into an outlet that may be on same circuit, however not controlled by switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddiesmith /forum/post/16998410


Thanks for all the responses


Answers


The splitter is not even plugged in for these tests, however I am curious why ProjectSHO89 would suggest using passive splitter. The splitter was plugged into an outlet that may be on same circuit, however not controlled by switch.

Too much amplification is as bad as not enough...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddiesmith /forum/post/16998410


Thanks for all the responses


Answers


The splitter is not even plugged in for these tests, however I am curious why ProjectSHO89 would suggest using passive splitter. The splitter was plugged into an outlet that may be on same circuit, however not controlled by switch.

Too much amplification is as bad as not enough...


Ya know, clarity is important the first time around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard that you can overamplify. On some sites they indicate that if you have multiple TV's off one antenna, you should use an amped splitter.


Anyway, I plugged the splitter back in and it didn't affect things at all. Still, the light switch seems to control my reception. I am sure there is some LOGICAL reason for this, but it escapes me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddiesmith /forum/post/16998567


Anyway, I plugged the splitter back in and it didn't affect things at all. Still, the light switch seems to control my reception. I am sure there is some LOGICAL reason for this, but it escapes me.

It's not a touch lamp, is it? They are known to cause interference.


If not, the best solution for interference with an indoor antenna is to move the antenna outdoors or into the attic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,019 Posts
Generally - one doesn't use both an amplifed antenna / pre-amp and a distribution amp unless there are extreme cases for doing so, such as long cables combined with multiple drops. Even then, your distribution amp should only barely make up for your splits. And not powering an amp kills reception through it.


I should know this - because I have a OTA / distribution setup that would drive most people here nuts. I'm doing both - 19dB Winegard pre-amp on a CM4221 antenna, coming to a Channel Plus Multiroom distribution system, with a Radio Shack distribution amp because I needed MORE outputs, along with some very long (50-100 feet in some cases) runs of RG6 coax to the reception devices. When it's done right - it's beautiful - when somethings not right - it's really not right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,641 Posts
Whether there's a dimmer or if the bulb is CFL, that shouldn't improve reception, but probably interfere with reception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
This is a stupid question, but I don't see that it's been asked yet ...


Is the power injector for the mast-mounted pre-amp in the closet? Any chance it's being powered off when you shut the light off?


If not, is the power injector downstream of the distribution amp? I don't consider this likely, but perhaps the distribution amp is only letting power through when the switch is in the on position (miss-wired outlet weirdness).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedirekin /forum/post/17000063


This is a stupid question, but I don't see that it's been asked yet ...


Is the power injector for the mast-mounted pre-amp in the closet? Any chance it's being powered off when you shut the light off?


If not, is the power injector downstream of the distribution amp? I don't consider this likely, but perhaps the distribution amp is only letting power through when the switch is in the on position (miss-wired outlet weirdness).

That's a GOLD STAR idea!
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedirekin /forum/post/17000063


This is a stupid question, but I don't see that it's been asked yet ...


Is the power injector for the mast-mounted pre-amp in the closet? Any chance it's being powered off when you shut the light off?


If not, is the power injector downstream of the distribution amp? I don't consider this likely, but perhaps the distribution amp is only letting power through when the switch is in the on position (miss-wired outlet weirdness).

Already covered above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,641 Posts
Easy test. Get a small lamp or radio and:

Plug it into the same recepticle where the power injector for the antenna is located. Test the light switch.


Do the same with the powered splitter.


See if one (or both) of the outlets is controlled by the light switch (circuit). Report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17006235


Easy test. Get a small lamp or radio and:

Plug it into the same recepticle where the power injector for the antenna is located. Test the light switch.


Do the same with the powered splitter.


See if one (or both) of the outlets is controlled by the light switch (circuit). Report back.

Or get an extension cord for the power supplies and run it off a known non-switched outlet.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top