Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question.

I have recently constructed a hushbox to enclose my projector. However, I know have the problem of turning the PJ, off and on. Can I hurt the projector and/or bulb by just powering it off using a powerstrip, or x10 outlet?

The projector is an Infocus lp735 if that helps.

Thanks

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
891 Posts

Given that many projectors continue to run their fans to safely cool down the bulb even after they're turned "off", and actually cutting power to the projector would prevent this, I'd say that it's probably not a good idea, particularly in respect to the health of your bulb.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That depends on the projector though. My InFocus LP340 has a power switch that's hardwired to the supply -- push off and the supply is completely cut off. This is functionally identical to turning it off from a power strip, so in this case that's perfectly acceptable -- even recommended.

------------------

Jay!

New LP340 owner

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
If your projector has a "standby" button to turn it off and you hit a hard switch to turn it off you will do what we call in "technical terms"

A REALLY BAD THING!s>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Contact Infocus about your particular projector. For the LP350 they told me that total instant power off is fine and should not effect bulb life or health. I power mine on and off with an X-10 remote controlled power outlet and have not experienced any related problems so far. I am also in the process of designing a hushbox for it. I do plan to run the fans for the box for a minute or two after I turn off the projector.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. On jerryd2's advice I called Infocus about it and they said that there is no problem simply cutting the power this way. They made reference to the fact that most ceiling mounts of the 735 are connected to a wall switch, and this is the same principal.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

------------------

Adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.