AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Turntable (Denon DP300F) has hummed occasionally, and I have usually resolved the problem by unplugging it, and then plugging it back in. I upgraded the cartridge to an Ortofon 2M Blue, and the humming seemed to go away, that is until today.

I put the dustcover back on the unit tonight, and now I have a loud hum that will not go away. The hum gets much louder when I touch the arm. The sound playback now sounds tinny or distanced (??).

I tried plugging the table into another input on my receiver (and switching the TT internal preamp on) and the problem was still there.

Would bumping the cartridge or stylus cause this issue, or could it be something else? I thought I'd check here before phoning one of the local TT dealers up. The retailer I bought the table from isn't exactly known for their TT sales and quality unfortunately.

Thanks very much...disapointed because I've been enjoying playing some vinyl again!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The TT sits in an entertainment unit, and so don`t think speaker location is an issue as it has worked fine sitting in there before this started. There isn`t a ground wire for me to attach to my receiver either unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds to me like a grounding issue. In my very brief browsing of the user manual for that model I didn't see any information regarding how the TT is grounded, but definitely sounds to me like there's an issue with the grounding somewhere in there.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It might b e a problem with the cartridge. Make sure all the connectors are tight. Be careful with the slip on connectors, they are very fragile.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I took it into be repaired since it's thankfully still under warranty, and both of your suggestions sounded right with what was looked at. The tech took the headshell off to see if the wires were attached correctly, and they looked fine there he thought. He thought it was likely a grounding somewhere inside? Will find out in a week or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.