AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dedicated music fans!

Spurred by the new Godspeed You!Black Emperor record, I decided to finally start my vinyl collection and subsequently bought a setup to go with it. More specifically, I bought the:

- Flexson VinylPlay Turntable;
- Pro-Ject Head Box S phono pre-amp;
- Some nice Sony Ericsson headphones.

However, once set up, there was a very noticeable hum when the preamp was on, even without the record spinning. It worked perfectly fine when connected to a laptop or any other device, but once connected to the turntable, it started humming, even worse when the TT was spinning.

There was a lot of back and forth between myself and the shop I bought it from, and we tried everything (different phono, different TT, different headphones, different cables, ...), but it was eventually fixed by earthing the preamp. The hum is now gone when the preamp is connected to the TT. However, there is still a noticeable hum when the TT is spinning, even before I place the needle on the record. It's very annoying in the quiet parts of my GY!BE records.

I have tried many different combinations again: different cables, different plug, ... Does anyone have an idea as to how I could fix this humming? It's only when I press the button and send the TT spinning. I'm clueless at the moment. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Thomas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have tried grounding the turntable? You can use a wire to connect your turntable to the ground in your preamp. Usually that resolves many grounding issues.
I have two wires that I put in the out channel of my preamp that are connected to the ground, which helped solve the first problem I had (a hum even before I turned the TT on). Now there's still a hum when I turn the TT on. I wonder if grounding it again would solve that, and how I can do so (since the only other entry I have in my TT is a USB gate).

·
Registered
421 Posts
^ sounds like you grounded your preamp but not your turntable. Get a wire and connect one end to the preamp ground and then tap the chassis or metal part of the turntable with the other end. If it is a grounding issue, when you tap the TT, the hum would go away. If that is the case, then all you need to do is find a way to keep the wire connected to the TT (maybe loosen up a screw and connect the ground wire there).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem. I'm having Audio quality issues with my current setup.

I have a Technics SL-1200 MK II turntable. It is connected to a phono pre-amp, the TC-750 Professional moving magnet preamp. This is in turn connected to my Yamaha rX-450 Receiver. The receiver feeds to 4 BOSE speakers.

The quality of sound is mehh. I can hear the records and the music, but it sounds like a distant FM station, rather than any sort of warm quality sound. Worst of all, the records do not play cleanly.

I've cleaned the records using an LP cleaner. I've double checked the connections from the record player to the preamp to the receiver, and all seem tight.

I'm wondering if its the player itself that is the problem? I don't really know how to set-up the Turntable, though I used a youtube tutorial to try to figure it out.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Sanjay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.