AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate as much info as you're all willing to give me. I'm purchasing a new turntable, but I'm having a difficult time deciding. Initially I was going to buy a Music Hall Ikura, but was told not a great turntable. So I went back to the research and narrowed it down to a short list, Ikura? Marantz 15S? Thorens 206? VPI Scout with Bronze cartridge and acrylic platter? The VPI is being offered to me for $1800 because it's a store display. Are displays bad? Would any of you audiophiles purchase store displays? I still receive a full warranty. I really need assistance from those of you who know. I'll need a phono stage, because my Harmon Kardon AVR 7000 doesn't have a dedicated phono input. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
500 Posts
Turntables and cartridges make slight changes to frequency response, and add a bit of distortion and reverb, type and amount are a matter of taste so its a bit pointless to buy what someone else likes. Get some records of music you like and go listen to some different options.

BTW some kind of serious record cleaning system is essential with vinyl.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Hi everybody. I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate as much info as you're all willing to give me. I'm purchasing a new turntable, but I'm having a difficult time deciding. Initially I was going to buy a Music Hall Ikura, but was told not a great turntable. So I went back to the research and narrowed it down to a short list, Ikura? Marantz 15S? Thorens 206? VPI Scout with Bronze cartridge and acrylic platter? The VPI is being offered to me for $1800 because it's a store display. Are displays bad? Would any of you audiophiles purchase store displays? I still receive a full warranty. I really need assistance from those of you who know. I'll need a phono stage, because my Harmon Kardon AVR 7000 doesn't have a dedicated phono input. Thanks in advance
Nothing wrong w/a store demo. Plus you are getting the full factory warranty and I would assume it is properly set up being it is a demo and they play it for prospective buyers. Your essentially getting an excellent plug and play TT. I would check out the IFI phono and some of the new Project phonos that have simple dial in gain stages.:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd go for the VPI. Very well built gear and the factory is responsive to any after sales needs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a question as I have only just got back in to having a Turntable, my kids did get me a Teac TN 300 but it was crap, now I have a Technics SL-1500c, now I know that I can upgrade the cartridge by fitting a 2m blue but I was wondering if there was a better option, I am using the built in phono stage, amplifier is a Marantz SR6007 and speakers are Theophany M4 these are made here in New Zealand.

Am happy with the sound other than the mid range being a bit muddy and floor noise between tracks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts