AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was recently given a turntable. It's a Technics SP-10MK2A and originally retailed for about $1500. GREAT condition...and absolutely no issues. http://www.vintagetechnics.info/turntables.htm

This particular table does not come with a tonearm and I was given two options:

THIS IS OPTION A:

It is a Micropoise Rekokut. It's obviously the older of the two tonearms. It doesn't even have a red or white stereo separation color on the attached cords but works perfectly.

THIS IS OPTION B:

I have no idea what kind of tonearm it is but it seems to be the newer of the two. It does say Audio Technica on the black part of the cartridge. However, the problem is that it doesn't have a counter-weight and the few people I've asked about getting a replacement all told me that I have to know the model # of the tonearm in order to find out which counter-weight I should get.

So here are my questions:

1) Which tonearm should I use, out of the two? Should I test both of them? Does anyone know enough about both of them to make an educated decision or does it even matter?

2) Any idea where I could get the correct counter-weight?

3) Does anyone know which make/model the 2nd one is?

Then comes the all important question:

4) What kind of cartridge should I buy? I have no idea how much use the ones they came with have gotten and I'd rather purchase a brand spankin' new one. I don't want to go insanely crazy on price but I'd be willing to spend $250 on one.

I'll be completely using it to archive vinyl to CD and probably my biggest pet peeve of vinyl is the crushing of the high's, ie when singers use "s's" or cymbals are used.

Thanks so much for bearing with the newbie posting but I know someone here will be able to help me out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Given your moniker 'digitalfreak' and the fact that your only going to transfer Lp's to digital I say sell the whole thing for whatever you can get and go buy yourself one of those "Throw away" tt's with the built in USB to do your digital conversion.

Now if you were serious about analog ( and trust me if you heard it done right you wouldn't have your 'pet peeve') I would search out an arm board configuration that would allow either a Rega or SME installed arm assembly.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that I need to get a "quality" recording out of them.

You wouldn't tell someone who wants to transfer their home movies from vhs to DVD to buy a crappy VCR, now would you?

I would assume I can buy any tonearm I'd like considering the original turntable didn't come with one. Perhaps someone else could shed some more light on that.

What are the differences in tonearms? I was always told the big difference was in the cartridge.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A few years ago, I was remodeling a radio station. I got a freebie SP10MK2A. with power supply. No plinth or tonearm though. I ended up selling it on Ebay. I still regret that move. Especially now that I'm back into vinyl. I agree with Twitch, do some research on plinths, armboard and tonearms for that tt. Even if you put a little more into it that you would like, in the long run it would be worth it. Plus, they are easy to resell. Who knows, you may even prefer the sound of the vinyl. Not to mention, good albums arn't cheap either. BTW, you are one lucky dog

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf /forum/post/17020601

A few years ago, I was remodeling a radio station. I got a freebie SP10MK2A. with power supply. No plinth or tonearm though. I ended up selling it on Ebay. I still regret that move. Especially now that I'm back into vinyl. I agree with Twitch, do some research on plinths, armboard and tonearms for that tt. Even if you put a little more into it that you would like, in the long run it would be worth it. Plus, they are easy to resell. Who knows, you may even prefer the sound of the vinyl. Not to mention, good albums arn't cheap either. BTW, you are one lucky dog

Thanks for the advice. Is there a way to find out exactly which tonearm would work well with it? The tonearm in the first pic is the one that was attached to it. I also have a pre-amp, power supply and plinth that the turntable is attached to already. So basically all I need now is a proper tonearm and cartridge.

And, like I said, I'm not using this to listen to anything that is currently available on CD. It is absolutely for archival purposes but those files will be listened to a lot. Plus I can't remember the last time I sat down to just listen to music, unfortunately.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/17018669

The problem is that I need to get a "quality" recording out of them.

I think you mean 'playback', anyways given your your apparent newbie status keep in mind this the higher the quality (greater ability to more acuratly resolve) the more attention has to be payed to the quality of the Lp as well .....ie. do you know how to properly clean an Lp ? for if not you wil have wsted your $$ for the intended purpose of which you're trying to achieve

Quote:
You wouldn't tell someone who wants to transfer their home movies from vhs to DVD to buy a crappy VCR, now would you?

As a matter of fact I would for anybody wanting quality would NOT have used VHS in the first place(remember Beta was the superior format for picture quality)

Quote:
I would assume I can buy any tonearm I'd like considering the original turntable didn't come with one. Perhaps someone else could shed some more light on that.

if the arm board cut-out (tonearm pivot point) is fixed then you need to match an arm based on length to spindle and the cooresponding two null points that match. here's a link to a good white paper on the subject to better help you understand.....

http://www.vinylengine.com/vpi-tonearm-geometry.shtml

otherwise a custom arm board would be in order.

Good luck !

.[/quote]

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
That is a highly regarded table. Many people are buying the non A tables up and having new plinths built for them. II recommend that you go to audiogon and ask your questions in the vinyl section. Many people there are using these tables and I am sure they can help you out as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What kind of budget are you working with? If you are willing to spend $250 on a cartridge then you can get a nice MM one for that price used on Audiogon. I just sold a Dynavector 20X-H for $295 that had about 300 hours use on it and that is a very nice cartridge. You may also want to look at used turntables instead of messing with trying to get parts for the arm you have. You can pick up a used Rega P1 for less that $300 and maybe even a P2 for that range. Keep in mind that the most important part of getting the best sound out of vinyl is going to be setting up the cartridge properly. It's not a matter of screwing the cartridge to the tonearm and playing an album. It must be lined up properly to get the best performance and there are different tools out there to help with that process. I use a Wally Tractor for setting up the cartridge on my VPI Scout. Wally makes different versions specifically for certain tables.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't say that price is no option but I'm definitely interested in making sure I get the best possible sound from the vinyl.

Here is a pre-amp that I found from another thread on AVS:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BLVP530

Thinking about that, assuming I can record right into Adobe Audition or something like that.

Oddly enough, I'm no further along with this than I was a few months ago. It's one of my projects for the new year.

·
Registered
765 Posts
OK I don't know what those are, but I wouldn't let either one of those touch any of my records. You say you are willing to spend a little money, I'd suggest finding something like a used Rega or Audioquest arm. But the problem is more complicated than that, what kind of plinth/armboard do you have? You have to find an arm that will work with your mount or you will have to find someone to machine a new mount for you.

What kind of stuff do you have that is unavailable on cd?

[EDIT] Or maybe a Linn Basik or Pro-Ject.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt /forum/post/17800199

OK I don't know what those are, but I wouldn't let either one of those touch any of my records. You say you are willing to spend a little money, I'd suggest finding something like a used Rega or Audioquest arm. But the problem is more complicated than that, what kind of plinth/armboard do you have? You have to find an arm that will work with your mount or you will have to find someone to machine a new mount for you.

What kind of stuff do you have that is unavailable on cd?

[EDIT] Or maybe a Linn Basik or Pro-Ject.

The plinth is the same one that was built for the radio station that I got it from. I think it was specially built. I don't see it as something that you would go into a store and purchase.

Like I said, these are hardcore stereophiles that built these studios. This isn't something that one would screw around with. With all respect intended, is it possible that you don't recognize them because they are older tonearms?

The stuff I'm transferring is all DJ remixes.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/17803365

The plinth is the same one that was built for the radio station that I got it from. I think it was specially built. I don't see it as something that you would go into a store and purchase.

Like I said, these are hardcore stereophiles that built these studios. This isn't something that one would screw around with. With all respect intended, is it possible that you don't recognize them because they are older tonearms?

The stuff I'm transferring is all DJ remixes.

These were not hardcore stereophiles that built studios. They were not built for sound quality or to care for the records. They were built for durability first to withstand 24 hour a day hard use. I don't recognize them because they are older and they are pro. There are collectors that want things like that, but audiophile guys that are really into vinyl would never use those. I have a lot of friends with a lot of turntables and a lot of records. Not even the guys who are into vintage use stuff like that.

You said you were interested in sound quality and willing to spend a little bit of money. In that case you'd be better served in a different direction. Sounds more like you are trying to figure out how to use what you have without spending money. That's OK.

Even if you use what you have, you'll have to find a way to mount it. You may have to drill new mount holes in the armboard you have and if that's the case you'll need an alignment protractor.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt /forum/post/17808273

These were not hardcore stereophiles that built studios. They were not built for sound quality or to care for the records. They were built for durability first to withstand 24 hour a day hard use. I don't recognize them because they are older and they are pro. There are collectors that want things like that, but audiophile guys that are really into vinyl would never use those. I have a lot of friends with a lot of turntables and a lot of records. Not even the guys who are into vintage use stuff like that.

You said you were interested in sound quality and willing to spend a little bit of money. In that case you'd be better served in a different direction. Sounds more like you are trying to figure out how to use what you have without spending money. That's OK.

Even if you use what you have, you'll have to find a way to mount it. You may have to drill new mount holes in the armboard you have and if that's the case you'll need an alignment protractor.

At this point, I'm thinking of purchasing a new stylus for the first arm pictured above and starting to re-record my vinyl so I can start selling it. Is there a suggested stylus for that?

I think i'm going to buy the pre-amp I have above as well. I just want to start getting all this vinyl out of my house.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I agree. I'd go with the Rekokut that came mounted on the turntable. At least you know it fits, and has all the parts. You don't know the specs of the arm, but a google search might turn them up if you know the specific model number. A shure M97 has a good reputation for tracking ability with a variety of arms, sounding decent, and should probably serve your purpose. Set the cartridge up properly (angles, height, weight) and clean the records well and you should be good to go. Have fun

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/18138585

I agree. I'd go with the Rekokut that came mounted on the turntable. At least you know it fits, and has all the parts. You don't know the specs of the arm, but a google search might turn them up if you know the specific model number. A shure M97 has a good reputation for tracking ability with a variety of arms, sounding decent, and should probably serve your purpose. Set the cartridge up properly (angles, height, weight) and clean the records well and you should be good to go. Have fun

Thanks for the feedback. What's the best way to clean? I know someone that purchased a $500 record cleaning device. Not sure if I should go that extreme.

Also (and I fully acknowledge that this is a very "newbie" question), my biggest problem with vinyl has always been the sibilant "SSS" or any of the high's. That's always the tell-tale sign of vinyl, when I'm listening to a recording. However, I notice that it's not on all vinyl when I playback but only some. Does it have more to do with the vinyl itself or is it the cartridge/tonearm? I'm always curious as to what the deal is with vinyl that I'm not hearing it as well as so many other people do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
my biggest problem with vinyl has always been the sibilant "SSS" or any of the high's.

In my experience with vinyl, admittedly a brief 50 years, if a quality cartridge with a stylus in good condition is used and it properly aligned and the tonearm is correctly adjusted for vertical tracking angle, anti-skating and stylus tracking force, then sibilance, that is, the "SSS" you and I both dislike, is almost never an issue. If anything, vinyl becomes more attractive, more seductive and more involving than digital.

The junction of stylus and record is a mechanical connection of microscopic proportions. It must be precisely and carefully established.

This site is a treasure-trove of useful information. http://www.vinylengine.com/

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili555 /forum/post/18141054

In my experience with vinyl, admittedly a brief 50 years, if a quality cartridge with a stylus in good condition is used and it properly aligned and the tonearm is correctly adjusted for vertical tracking angle, anti-skating and stylus tracking force, then sibilance, that is, the "SSS" you and I both dislike, is almost never an issue. If anything, vinyl becomes more attractive, more seductive and more involving than digital.

The junction of stylus and record is a mechanical connection of microscopic proportions. It must be precisely and carefully established.

This site is a treasure-trove of useful information. http://www.vinylengine.com/

Enh. only 50 years? I might as well go find someone who has 60 or 70. This ain't amateur hour.
J/k.

I guess that is one of my major problems with vinyl: there are too many variables that could potentially go wrong. At this point, I just want to bring my vinyl to someone with a pristine system and just pay them to record all of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.