AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm looking into investing into a turntable int he ranges of 300-400$. I had my eye out for the Pro-Ject Debut III and recently read some reviews on the REGA P1. I also read the the REGA P1 sounds amazing but does not have a wide range of frequencies. What would you recommend and I'm new on this subject of turntables, I've also read about adding a better pre-amp, cartridge, as well as the table itself (glass or mdf). What is recommended. Listening to mostly Jazz, Blues and Classical...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
I also read the the REGA P1 sounds amazing but does not have a wide range of frequencies.

Wherever you read that, you should stop reading it.

If your budget is $300-400, those are decent choices. They're very similar tables. If you have a receiver or amp with an input labeled "phono" you don't need anything else.

You could upgrade the cartridge (figure on spending close to $100 for a worthwhile improvement) or phono preamp ($150-200 for a more subtle improvement). But you're good to go as is.

Glass vs. MDF refers to the part of the table that actually spins. Glass is considered better, but I don't think you'll see glass in your price range.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would recommend setting up a little DIY record cleaner (once you has a TT). It will make a very worthwhile difference. You can get an idea of one from the below links. One shows a little DIY setup and the second shows a little wet-dry shop vac you can use.

removed non working links.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Exojam: Neither of your links works.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Much better. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo /forum/post/15532688

Hi everyone, I'm looking into investing into a turntable int he ranges of 300-400$. I had my eye out for the Pro-Ject Debut III and recently read some reviews on the REGA P1. I also read the the REGA P1 sounds amazing but does not have a wide range of frequencies. What would you recommend and I'm new on this subject of turntables, I've also read about adding a better pre-amp, cartridge, as well as the table itself (glass or mdf). What is recommended. Listening to mostly Jazz, Blues and Classical...

Thanks in advance

i've been looking at those same tables. i currently use a 30 year old rotel (with a signet cartridge) and it sounds fine... i'm wanting to upgrade, and i'm hoping these two choices arent more of a lateral move.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You may want to invest in a tool to align the catridge. Back in the day I used: Mobile Fidelity Geo Disk and a Heybrook "cartridge aligner". I don't think either are available anymore but I am sure there are substitutes. You may also want to pick up a stylus guage to measure the tracking force. Not sure if Shure still makes them but there are many types out there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
"Hi everyone, I'm looking into investing into a turntable int he ranges of 300-400$. I had my eye out for the Pro-Ject Debut III and recently read some reviews on the REGA P1. I also read the the REGA P1 sounds amazing but does not have a wide range of frequencies. What would you recommend and I'm new on this subject of turntables, I've also read about adding a better pre-amp, cartridge, as well as the table itself (glass or mdf). What is recommended. Listening to mostly Jazz, Blues and Classical..."

I have a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (Red) with Pro-Ject PHONOBOX II / USB. I needed the Pro-Ject phonobox because the tube amp I have, does not have a phono in. Anyway, I love the quality and sound of the Pro-Ject turntable. You can't go wrong with the Pro-Ject or the Rega for that matter. Good luck with your decision and enjoy.

-Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo /forum/post/15532688

Thanks in advance

The Pro-ject Debut III and Rega P1 tables are almost identical, and come with the same Ortofon cartridge preinstalled. The few differences are brand name, build construction, aesthetics, and lately, price (the Pro-ject can normally be found for about $50 less).

Here's a match up review: http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=530 .

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
i've been looking at those same tables. i currently use a 30 year old rotel (with a signet cartridge) and it sounds fine... i'm wanting to upgrade, and i'm hoping these two choices arent more of a lateral move.

Don't know your Rotel, but I wouldn't count on it. "British-designed belt-drive" may well be the common thread.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everyone for the great info...Much appreciated

My amp does not have a phono input and I will probably have to invest in a good pre-amp. Don't know what to look for as a pre-amp. What makes one pre-amp better than the other in terms of 2 channels.

Why the different types of needles?

Sorry to sound like such a noob. Ever since I jumped in to the Vinyl forums, I've been fascinated on the amount of detail people look for. I'm the same way but in Home Theatre, I didn't know with Analogue LP, there could be a whole different world. It sucked me in right away. I haven't stopped reading and reading.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo /forum/post/15541573

My amp does not have a phono input and I will probably have to invest in a good pre-amp. Don't know what to look for as a pre-amp. What makes one pre-amp better than the other in terms of 2 channels.

Sorry to sound like such a noob. Ever since I jumped in to the Vinyl forums, I've been fascinated on the amount of detail people look for. I'm the same way but in Home Theatre, I didn't know with Analogue LP, there could be a whole different world. It sucked me in right away. I haven't stopped reading and reading.

Gathering many opinions, like you are doing, is great. You may want to connect with a dealer that you trust that can also offer you guidance on, not only the right table to buy, but phono preamps as well. I used Gene Rubin audio out of California when I purchased my Rega P2. He offered great advice and steered me in the right direction when it came to stylus, cartdridge, table, phono preamp, etc. I'm sure there are others out there that are equally as honest. Lots of people buy from the Needle Doctor but while they offer great gear, their reps are a little testy when it came to just having a conversation about my needs. I felt that they wanted me to just shut up and buy something. Gene, on the other hand, listened. Configured they way I did, my Rega P2 is almost identical to the P3 but at a much better price point. Good luck in your adding vinyl to your system. I find I purchase more LP's these days than CD's or downloads.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:

A phono preamp does only two things: it amplifies the signal (by a fixed amount) and it corrects the equalization. So the questions you want to ask are:

1) how much does it amplify the signal?

2) how flat is the resulting frequency response?

My general advice is to either spend $50 at www.phonopreamps.com or $150 on a Parasound Zphono. Either is a safe bet.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15542545

A phono preamp does only two things: it amplifies the signal (by a fixed amount) and it corrects the equalization. So the questions you want to ask are:

My general advice is to either spend $50 at www.phonopreamps.com or $150 on a Parasound Zphono. Either is a safe bet.

Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted to know... I will probably make a desicion this week and order one. I'll let you all know what I get. I have a lot of research to do.

What is the respectable pressure for the needle on a vinyl disc?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
What is the respectable pressure for the needle on a vinyl disc?

Tough to say. Every cartridge comes with a recommended range. It's generally best to use the top of that range. Good cartridges rarely recommend tracking forces above 2 grams, though I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15542545

While I don't generally disagree with the above, you may want to know that there is a lot of varying opinions on phono preamps. Some, like the above believe that a $50-$150 phono-preamp is all you need, while others spend HUGE sums of money on them. Look into it before you decide to agree with a single person. I personally use to own the Parasound Zphono. Didn't care for it at all. Horrible experience.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Well, we are talking to a guy who's spending $300-400 on a turntable. I don't think I'd recommend spending more on a preamp than on the table/arm/cartridge.

I've never used the Zphono. It was positively reviewed by David Rich in The Sensible Sound awhile back, which is why I feel comfortable recommending it. What problems did you have with it?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico /forum/post/15544176

While I don't generally disagree with the above, you may want to know that there is a lot of varying opinions on phono preamps. Some, like the above believe that a $50-$150 phono-preamp is all you need, while others spend HUGE sums of money on them. Look into it before you decide to agree with a single person. I personally use to own the Parasound Zphono. Didn't care for it at all. Horrible experience.

The Zphone is definetely a great choice, especially to start off with anyway, and I've heard great comments from many users who have a Pro-Ject Debut III as well as users from Stereophile mag. I know there are as many pre-amps as there are TT out there, but the nice combo seems to be the Zphone with the Debut.

I'm doing my research and taking in everyones opinion. mcnarus was a lot help.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts