AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling this question is going to rip a hole in "the force" that is the audiophile, but here it is. Please be kind.

I would like to hook my old turntable up to my new receiver. I know I need a preamp as my receiver doesn't have a phono input, but my big problem is where to put it. I simply don't have a location near the receiver to put the turntable. With the growing popularity of Home Theater and the fact that most TV style stands that hold all this equipment lacks space for a turntable I started google'n for a wireless solution. The closest thing I found was an A/V style wireless unit made so you can transmit a signal (usually video) from one component (DVD, PVR) in one room to a TV in another room. I'm thinking if it works for video (with audio) it should work for a stereo signal, sans the video input.

So far, this is the best I found. If you know of a better or different product, please let me know.
http://www.rflinkusa.com/products_AVS5811.html

So, the questions are.

Besides this, are there such a thing as a wireless phono preamp. I really didn't have high hopes and came up with nothing.

Has anyone gone this route and how did it work for you?

First and foremost I'm almost certain there will be a sound quality issue. Even if you're a devote audiophile I would like to hear your opinion. Just don't rip me a new one.
I guess I'm hopping the wireless convenience to sound quality loss ratio will be minimal.

Last, and I don't have high hopes for this either. A USB style turntable. My computer is already hooked up to my receiver, but I'm thinking the analog/digital conversion will totally kill the reason for hooking up a turntable in the first place. I understand the main reason for a USB turntable is to convert an album collection to a MP3 format. Shot in the dark, I know. Had to ask.

Last, if all else fails I will try and find a hard-wire solution to my lack of placement problem. If so, how long of a run can I go with a decent RCA cable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing?

Well, the more I think about it the more I think the results aren't going to be that good.

Besides the possibility of losing sound quality from a wireless signal am I correct in assuming there will be analog/digital/analog conversion going on?

All opinions, facts, theories, hypothesis, and general W.A.G's. are welcome.

I feel like the guy who farted in the crowed elevator.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for pointing that out.

*If* I were to go this route I would need something that would cover the full 20Hz to 20KHz.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts